Chapter 4: Nattie

Chapter 4

Nattie

I was shocked.  I didn't know April was dyslexic, but I didn't see why she was so sensitive about it.  Lots of people have it, it's not her fault.  I watched May run out after her and I stayed in the training room.

"Did you guys know?" I asked.  They nodded.

"It wasn't for us to tell," Janey said.

"I know.  But I don't see the big deal."

"It's her weakness that she can't read as well.  She doesn't like to admit she has a weakness because she's the oldest in her family, so she thinks she has to be the strongest," Janey said.  "You guys are dismissed if you want to leave."

Janey, Zach, Jocelyn and I stayed to continue training.

"What's wrong with weakness?" I asked.

"We're all competing, in a sense," Janey started.  "Competing with one another for rankings, competing against the Ishithians to keep people safe, and so on.  Weaknesses set you back, give other people a chance to have a leg up on you.  To be better than you."

"But April's amazing at everything, I don't see why reading and writing slower sets her back."

Jocelyn shook her head.  "I don't get it either, you can ask her if you want.  I've tried, but she's never talked to anyone about it except May.  I'm heading up to lunch, if anyone wants to come."

Janey joined her and they walked out.  Zach stayed, so did I.

"Hey.  Thanks for telling me about your dad.  It explains a lot," I said to him.

"Yeah, ok."

"What?"

"Two things.  What was May talking about when she said Captain America?"

"The scene in the movie when Hydra trapped Cap by surrounding him with fire from flamethrowers."

"Oh.  Ok."

"Yeah, I don't know why she didn't just say that."

"She likes having inside jokes and meanings with people.  Don't ask me why."

"And what was the second thing?"

"I told you a secret, now you have to tell me one."

I paused to think about it.  "I've always wanted a set of ninja stars."

"Ninja stars?  Really?"

I shrugged.  "Yeah.  I have knives and stuff, but I've never had a ninja star."

He smiled and laughed.  "Now that I think about it, I don't think we have any here either."

I don't know why, but I smiled too.

"Wanna come up to lunch with me?" Zach asked.

"Just us two?" I asked with a bigger smile.

"If you want."

I smiled even more. "Yeah. I'd like that."

~~~

Sorry it's been so long, I've been trying to update, I really have. But I've been really busy. So what does everyone think of Zattie? Do you ship them, or do you think they shouldn't get together? Vote, comment, fan.