Chapter 12: May / Chapter 13 Nattie

May

I looked both ways in the hallway.  No one was there.  I then unlocked the door to the data center.  I closed the door and sat down in front of one of the computers.  I had to find out where Dad knew Nattie from.  Search agent... Nattie Armbrose.  Nothing.  Search agent... Natalie Armbrose.  The screen began loading.

I heard footsteps outside and I froze.  I turned off the monitor and ducked underneath the desk.  I could see through a small crack in the desk that the wires went through to the power source.  The door opened and someone looked inside.  I moved away from the crack so the person couldn't see me, and I couldn't see them.

I heard the door close and I peeked through the crack.  The person left.  That was too close.  Instead of going on the computer, I decided just to take out the hard drive, bring it to my dorm, copy it and then bring the original back.

I pried the hard drive out, slowly and quietly in case someone was walking by.  I put it in my pocket and got out from under the desk to shut down the computer.  As I turned on the monitor, someone stepped out from the shadows.

"Aha!  Who are you and what are you doing in here?" the person asked.

"April?" I asked.

"May?  What are you doing in here?  No one is allowed to be in here without permission."

"I have a key."

"What were you doing?"

"Nothing!"

"May, come on!  I know when you're lying."

"Fine.  I was doing extra research."

"On who?"

"Nattie," I mumbled.

"Why?  Just ask her if you need to know something."

"Ok, but you know I'm shy."

"May, you were doing fine with her yesterday!"

"Yeah, that because we were talking about facts about the A1, stuff I know!  I get upset when I don't know something."

"I'm going to tell you a secret.  I don't know stuff about my missions all the time, no field agents know exactly what's gonna happen on a mission.  You may not be a field agent, but I think you can be confident when you don't know something."

I rolled my eyes.  "Why are you talking to me like I'm a little kid who's scared of the dark?"

"Please, you think I talk to June like this?  And you aren't a little kid."

"Wish everyone thought that," I mumbled.

"What?" April asked.

"I got the key for this room because I'm the Junior Research Leader."

"That's good!"

"No!  It's not!"

"Why not?"

"I'm almost 16, and they won't give me an official leadership position because I have to be 18 or older.  And I looked it up after the Research Leader gave me that position, according to the official A1 records where all the positions and leaders are listed, I'm not the Junior Research Leader!  There is no Junior Research Leader!"

"May, calm down.  Go get ready for paintball.  I won't tell anyone about this as long as you don't tell anyone.  Deal?"

"Deal."  I walked back to my room to get on my paintball gear.  It's the mission gear, but I only use it for paintball.  I locked my door and hid the hard drive in one of the hidden drawers in my desk.  Then I walked down to the Training Center to draft teams.