Chapter 4: Zach

Zach

I was having a normal day, or as normal as you can get as a spy. Training in the morning and instructing classes in the afternoon. But today the distress alarms went off. Someone had to go to help the agent who had the flash drive from A1, and somehow I was that someone.

I knew that I had to do it, but as usual, I just didn't say anything. I don't get emotional over missions; I do what needs to be done because that's my job.

I grabbed the GPS with the flash drive's signal and loaded my revolver. I got into the car and drove as far as I could into the woods. I didn't stop to question why someone would go into the woods, maybe that was just the carrier's style.

I got out of the car and ran until I got closer to the point of the signal. I saw a brown haired girl in a bulletproof leather jacket. Her leggings had a hole in them, where blood was gushing out of her thigh. She was in trouble, but for some reason she seemed really familiar.

I had never been to the A2, I had met one person from the A2 a long time ago, but I had never actually been there. Or any of the other A bases, actually. I mostly stayed at the A1, working on training and missions and everything. April and Jocelyn had been to other bases, but I only go where I'm needed, and for all my life that was the A1.

Which is why I was really confused as to why this girl seemed familiar. She was holding a gun and looking around. I looked closely at what type of gun she had. I learned that you can tell a lot about someone based on what gun and gear they had. Her jacket seemed very functional, but her gun had the bullet chamber was slightly open, and there were no bullets inside. She probably tried to be ready for anything, but the attack and evacuation came so suddenly that she had to leave quickly. That also explained the sloppy ponytail.

I looked around, making sure the area was clear before I approached her. I had to be cautious, otherwise she might try to shoot me. Then I remembered that she was out of ammo, so I wouldn't get shot if I approached her. At least, not by her. As I looked around the surround trees, I had a pretty clear view of the area. The only remaining leaves were some faded orange and brown one that were stubbornly clinging onto the branches. Between two of the tree trunks on the northern side of the woods, I saw a tall guy with a gun pointing it at her back, she didn't see him.

"Get down!" I yelled as I dove and knocked her flat as the bullet hit right where she was a second ago. I shot the guy, but he dove and got caught in a thorn bush and his gun was thrown to the side. I helped the girl to her feet as she dusted the dirt out off of her jacket and leggings. "You're the Carrier?"

"Yeah. Ow! Shot. In. Knee." She took a few deep breaths and pulled two leaves out of her hair. "I'm Nattie, by the way. In case you care. You probably don't."

I had to get her out of here; she was clearly freaking out with the importance of the mission and the fact that she was hurt. But instead of working as fast as possible to get the mission done, I asked her, "Nattie, short for Natalie?"

"Yeah." She nodded and pulled a bandage out of one of her jacket pockets and wrapped it around her thigh.

Natalie. Oh no. I did know her; I had never met her, but I could never forget the name Natalie. And she looked just like her dad. She probably didn't realize that, since her dad went missing so long ago. I had to make sure she was that same Natalie.