Chapter 8: Zach

Zach

Janey and Jocelyn had told me that today was Nattie's birthday. Jocelyn had all the over-the-top party stuff planned, I just bought her a gift and was helping Jocelyn with the party.

April was still upset from yesterday, I had only seen her once since then. She was at the shooting range going through ammo pack after ammo pack.

Jocelyn had it all planned out. We would go to training as usual, and after it ended Janey would get Nattie away from her room, where June and I would sneak in to decorate. Everything we needed was hidden in one of the supply closets in the hallway outside her room.

Today's training was capture the flag in Training Center 7. Training Center 7 was my favorite. It was used for indoor capture the flag, paintball, and laser tag. Ever since the attacks on the other four As, we were to stay inside as much as possible, just in case.

My team was April, May, June, Brett, Nick, Gabby and Jocelyn against Janey's team of Nattie, Michael, Matt, Ava, Jacob, Biz and Liz. The teams were pretty even skill-wise.

We hid our flag underneath one of the floorboards in the corner. Then half of us set up base guarding a different corner, one that the flag wasn't in. The other half of the team would be on offense. That was April, June, Jocelyn and me.

We split up once the game started, Jocelyn and I going to the left, April and June to the right. The rules were quite simple: the game kept going until everyone was shot or a team captured the other team's flag.

I missed training games like this, and clearly April did too. She practically flew off when the starting bell rang.

I was so out of focus during the game. I ran around, I shot people. I grabbed the flag and was shot by Nattie.

She smiled and shrugged as I glared at her. Then she laughed. I laughed too.

____

We were walking out of the training room. "I assuming we're going to go get lunch," Nattie said. "Because I'm starving."

"Hey, Nat! Nice shots out there!" Janey said as she came down the stairs.

When Nattie started talking to Janey, I snuck down to her room. I had the decorations in my hands and I opened the door. Something was wrong.

I ducked as someone threw a punch where my head was. I stepped out of the room. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

The person didn't respond. He just tried to attack me.

The hallway door opened and Nattie walked in. The intruder saw her and ran at her.

"Nattie! Run!" I screamed. Her eyes widened and she ran.

I tackled the guy and threw a hard punch to his head, which knocked him out cold.

I called April and she came down with her dad.

"What happened?" he asked. I told him.

"Put everything on lockdown. They're going after Nattie for some reason."

"It's because I know the Data."

"You know the data?" April said.

"Yes, and you know why he does," Agent Winters said. "Now go." April and I ran up the stairs and put everything on lockdown.