Chapter 28

TW: Drinking

(Circe's pov)

It was the day before the dance and I was looking for my dagger. I checked everywhere but couldn't seem to find it. As I was about to give up and head to breakfast something caught my eye on the ground next to my bed. I looked closer and found it was my dagger. There was a piece of crumpled paper next to it as well and I picked it up. I uncrumpled it to reveal a letter in Thomas's handwriting.

Dear Circe,

I don't know how long I have to write this letter so it's going to be quick.

You're in danger, and so is Mattheo. Malachi is making something very powerful, a spell or something. I don't know what it does but I have my guesses, and if that's true then none of us are safe. Don't let Malachi get to you and be careful. If something seems off with someone, don't trust them. If something bad happens to me, don't try to save me, you will put yourself in more danger.

Sorry this had to be so short.

Yours,

Thomas

My eyes lingered on the words for a couple of seconds before I folded the note and shoved it in my pocket then went to meet Mattheo and Theodore in the Great Hall.

I sat down next to Mattheo and slipped him the note without anyone noticing. He unfolded it just enuff to see Thomas's handwriting then folded it up again and put it in his pocket. Liam walked in and sat down next to Theodore, I could tell something had happened for he didn't seem the same, he walked and spoke with fake carelessness and pride. "So you guys looking forward to the dance?" He asked

"It's pretty much the same every year but I guess" Theodore replied

"How about you guys" Liam nodded at Mattheo and me

"I don't know, I'm not planning on going" I answered truthfully

Mattheo glanced at me "Why not?"

"I just never really liked them, and besides I don't have a dress that would work for me and I do not wish to go out and buy one now"

"Well if your not going then I nor Theodore are going to have a date"

I gave a small smile "Even if I did go, I wouldn't go with both of you" I looked away for a second "Why don't you two go together if your so desperate for a date, you guys could make a cute couple" I raised my eyebrows

"Are you suggesting that I go to the dance with Mattheo Riddle?" Theodore asked, placing a hand on his chest dramatically

"Yes" I looked at him blankly

"But I don't-, I'm not-" He started

"It doesn't matter if you like him or not. No offense but when I went to the dance with you, it was just as friends, and you two are friends, so why can't you two go together?"

After a couple seconds of silence I put my hands up "If guys don't want to go together, you don't have to, I'm just trying to solve your problems here" I shrugged

After breakfast we all went separate ways. I went to the library and checked out a couple books then went up to the astronomy tower. I sat down and read until I heard someone coming up the stairs. I looked up to see Liam by the door, he looked around the tower before his eyes landed on me "Sorry I thought Theo was here"

He turned to leave but I stopped him. "Wait" He turned around and looked at me "How long have you known Theo, it seems like you go to him for everything?"

"Not very long but he is understanding of my situation" I saw his eyes stray to his arm where the mark would be but he quickly looked away and out at the castle grounds. "I'm sorry if I have been weird these past few weeks, I just don't do the best in stressful situations"

"There's nothing to apologize for, I understand"

He walked closer to the railing before turning back to me "How do you always know how to handle a stressful situation?" He asked

I laughed "I don't, what makes you say that"

"I mean you don't freeze, you risk getting hurt, burned, to save your brother. You did it without a second of hesitation"

"I have been through a lot, you learn stuff along the way, and Mattheo is my brother, he was in pain, I didn't need to think about it, I had to save him in any way that I could"

"But, didn't you get burned?"

"It can be healed" I explained

"Well I will leave you alone" He turned and headed for the door and a couple seconds later he was gone.

A little while later Theo came up behind me with a bottle in his hand, he nodded at me before walking over to the railing and looking over the school grounds.I watched him as he finished the bottle then left in silence.

Later that night while everyone else was getting ready for the dance I went to the library in my house and was looking for a certain book. One that could possibly help me against Malachi.

(Mattheo's pov)

I didn't want to go to the dance if Circe wasn't going to be there, but Theodore wanted to go so I went to keep him company.

When I arrived at the dance, Theodore was standing by the entrance waiting for me and we entered together. After a little bit of dancing, dinner was served but I wasn't really hungry, instead I just drank a little bit. It tasted weird though and soon I felt dizzy. I pulled Theodore aside and told him I was leaving and he left with me.

As we were walking back I started feeling more and more dizzy. I moved to the wall and put my weight into it, trying to steady myself. Theo put a hand on my shoulder "Are you okay?" He asked

"I think so, I'm just a little bit dizzy" I turned my head towards the wall and suddenly everything went black.

(Circe's pov)

My fingers passed over book after book but I had no luck so far. I could think of one book that could possibly help me so I appareated to Thomas's room. I started looking around the room, looking in every possible hiding place but I still couldn't find the book.

Suddenly a voice came from behind me "I don't think you should be in here" I knew that voice anywhere, Malachi. I turned around to find him standing in the doorway. He stepped into the room and closed the door behind him, muttering something to himself.

"Why are you here?" I asked

He smiled and tilted his head "You don't know?" His smile widened "Oh- oh you don't" He took another step forward "I had a meeting with your father, we have a deal we were just discussing"

"What deal?"

"Oh, nothing that you need to worry about, sorry I even brought it up" I waved his hand as if waving the idea away "But something that needs to be brought up is that fact you have somehow been seeing Thomas" He tilted his head "How" His voice came out cold and his smile faded to s frown

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Yes I would. I would also like to know what you're doing in here, what could be so important in your brother's room" He looked around the room while I stayed quiet. "Speaking of brothers, you might want to check on Mattheo"

"What did you do?"

"Oh I didn't do anything" He smiled again "But just know, this is only the beginning of your end" He winked before disappearing into thin air. 

1313 words