X

Ronobir woke with a start the sound of his phone interrupting him from the most amazing dream starring a particular singer. He rolled over and picked it up pressing the ignore button and slamming it back down. He turned over determined to get back to where he had left off but it began to ring again.

Ronobir groaned realizing he would never get to see Mishti remove her lacy black bra. He sat up and grabbed his phone not even bothering to look at the caller ID before answering.

"What." He snapped.

"Lovely Ronny." Shanaya drawled. Ronobir scowled annoyed that it was his sister of all people. "And here I was thinking marriage might make you less irritable."

"Can we just cut the small talk Shanaya I'm not in the mood."

"Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." She chirped.

"No, I haven't had the chance to get out of bed yet because you woke me up." He snarled still upset about his interrupted dream.

"Well, I guess my work here is done then." She laughed. "Seriously Ronny it's already 10 am in New York I'm surprised you're still sleeping."

"Does this conversation have a purpose, Shanaya?" He asked hoping she wasn't about to spring another surprise visit on him. Ronobir could be anywhere in the world, and she knew exactly where he was. He wouldn't be surprised if she had planted a GPS device on him at some point and was tracking his every move.

"Well, brother I'm calling to wish you a happy birthday for Friday. I'll be traveling around the next few days so thought I'd get in early." He could sense the hurt in her voice and he felt slightly bad for snapping at her.

"Thanks, Shanaya, that was a nice thought," Ronobir said almost sincerely.

"Yes, it was nice of me wasn't it?" She replied and Ronobir rolled his eyes at her usual lack of modesty. "So what are you and the wife up to for your birthday?"

"We aren't up to anything Shanaya; you know how much I hate celebrating my birthday so it will be very low-key."

"I've never understood that at all, I mean how can you not love a day where you're the center of attention?"

"Well some of us don't like a fuss."

"How is it that you and I are related?" Shanaya asked in disbelief.

"Just lucky I guess." He said his voice laced with sarcasm.

"Well, as much as I've enjoyed bonding with you I must get going, try not to have too much fun on your birthday." She said tartly disconnecting the phone.

"Well, that was worth waking up for." He muttered.

"So how are you enjoying New York City, man?" Sanskar asked taking a sip of his drink. "Mishti told me you had your doubts."

Ronobir laughed thinking back to their conversation the previous day and how negative he'd been. It wasn't until last night when Mishti had opened his eyes to the city that he was starting to rethink his views.

That wasn't the only thing she had opened his eyes to. Ronobir was starting to realize that he enjoyed spending time with Mishti which was a first for him. Ronobir had previously found that most girls had a used-by date but surprisingly Mishti hadn't reached hers yet.

"I'm revisiting some of my earlier prejudices." He laughed looking around the small, quaint bar. Sanskar had suggested a place called Whiskey Blue on Lexington and as its name suggested had a vast array of his favorite drink.