XI

6 June, New York City

"Hello," Mishti said answering her phone.

"Well if it isn't my dear sister-in-law," Shanaya replied. Mishti felt her stomach sink how Shanaya had her number; this certainly wasn't part of the marriage deal.

"Shanaya what a surprise."

"No need to sound so excited Mishti." She said tartly.

"What can I do for you?" She asked thinking the complete opposite.

"Well I was calling you about Ronny's birthday tomorrow; I mean it's ridiculous that the occasion should go by unrecognized."

"What do you mean Shanaya, what birthday?" She stuttered unsure of what the hell the blonde was talking about.

"You didn't know." She said taken by surprise. " I'm sorry I thought he would have told you his birthday is tomorrow." The tone of her voice told Mishti she wasn't sorry at all.

"Well, I guess he didn't Shanaya." She replied shortly after the news of his impending birthday feeling like a punch to her stomach. They had been living together for a month now and he didn't think to mention it.

After their night on the roof, Mishti was beginning to see another side to Ronobir. A side she liked if she was being honest with herself. He was usually so arrogant and sarcastic but he'd let his guard down slightly and she was beginning to realize there was so much more to him than she first thought.

"Well not to worry dear that's all the more reason to make a surprise of it. I've had a few ideas of my own." Mishti rolled her eyes knowing by that comment she probably had more than a few.

"I don't know Shanaya a surprise party? I haven't known Ronobir for a long time but it doesn't seem like something he'd like."

"Trust me Mishti everyone likes a surprise party." She said with authority. "I mean don't you want to help Ronny celebrate his birthday? I'm sure he'd do the same thing for you." Talk about a guilt trip Mishti thought. She already felt bad enough admitting to Shanaya she didn't know it was her own husband's birthday.

"Of course I do but if it's tomorrow there isn't much time to organize anything." She said desperately racking her brain for ideas.

"Not to worry just leave it all up to me." She said trying to sound considerate, which Mishti knew she was anything but. "I'll send you through all the details so if you could get him there that would be great." Mishti shook her head knowing she didn't have much choice.

"Um yeah okay." She said weakly wondering how she'd been roped into this. Shanaya disconnected the phone suddenly Mishti realized she'd just been dismissed.

"I can't believe you gave the she-devil my number," Mishti whined at her manager.

"Look I said I was sorry but she told me it was urgent and honestly Mishti I just wanted some peace." He said a slight smile playing on his lips. "You forget she has my number now too." He reminded her.

It was a beautiful summer's day in Manhattan and the two of them were walking through Central Park taking advantage of the nice weather.

"If she makes it a regular thing I'm changing my number." She snapped still upset by their earlier conversation.

"I can't believe it's his birthday tomorrow." He said attempting to change the subject.

"You and me both, I mean who doesn't tell someone it's their birthday?" She cried her frustration evident.