Chapter 1

"Honey, let's go," My mom said as she shook me out of my slumber.

I looked at her with a questioning face, wondering what could be wrong. She went to the drawer and pulled out my small jacket placing it on my still groggy body

My mom and I ushered out of the dark house with bags in our hands as we await the last bus. My fingers laced with hers as the cool breeze brushed against my skin, feeling cold since the jacket was thin.

"Mom, why isn't dad with us?" I asked

"Oh, honey, dad will come with us very soon." My mom answered.

The bus came and we loaded onto it, it felt like the longest ride I have ever taken and somehow, we ended up at the front stairs of uncle Miros house.

I saw the pity he gave both me and my mom as he moved aside to let us in. My mom was given a cup of what looked like tea from Aunt May. Aunt May patted my mom's shoulder and gave her a small smile and said something beyond the lines of "I'm proud of you". I didn't understand what it meant at my very age, but all I could tell that I saw the relief was on my mom's face for the first time in years.

We were given a room upstairs and mom and I had to share a bed, it was warm, her body was warm and the blanket was warm. I snuggled up into her as this was the first time in years that I did so. She was always overworking and fighting with dad, screams, and cries could be heard from their bedroom.

"Mom" I called and received a hum

"Is dad still coming?" I asked

"Dad isn't coming here sweetie; he went to buy us gifts just like he always does on Christmas. He will come back to us when he's ready, so "let's give dad a good break." Mom stated as my red eyes met her red ones.

She kissed my forehead and her eyes closed and later my eyes closed and I fell into a deep slumber.

Mom always said dad will come or he was on a trip, along the lines of those exact words, but it had been years of waiting and dad never came back to us.