16

C

"I think we gotta problem, Cecia," Linda stated, arms folded. She didn't have her glasses on today, probably contacts in like me, curly black hair braided into two messily parted braids, a set of stretchy sweats along her body.

"I don't have a problem with you, Linda," I said softly.

I was gravely afraid.

Not of Elodie and Linda. But of what I could do.

"I think you do. The way you talked shit in the hallway said so," Linda laughed.

"Stand up or I'll pull you out dat seat. First and final warning," Elodie said, no nonsense in her tone. I turned my head to face the two of them. The cafeteria was almost as quiet as an area filled with hyped up kids could be as they listened in. I could feel Ora seated closely behind me. I knew she was ready. I didn't need her in trouble though.

She didn't know I had told Majesti and Xochitl to hold her back. She didn't know that.

"I think you know...you shouldn't fight me. Either of you," I stated, trying to grasp onto the last remaining calm that I had. "I don't think...it would be a good idea."

That was my first and final warning to the both of them.

"Well, I'm done hearin' ideas and suggestions," Elodie's eyes tore into mine. "I already gave you a warnin' to get up," Elodie shrugged, running towards me.

Xochitl and Majesti yanked Ora back as I pushed Elodie off my body, onto the floor. "I don't wanna fight, El, this ain't us. Or what we used to be."

"Linda's the only person here who cares about me," my ex best friend sneered from the floor.

"I won't let her hit you," Linda assured Elodie, arms crossed. She was standing closer to the crowd than us. She hadn't even moved an inch when I had shoved Elodie on her flat ass.

"Thanks, twin," Elodie smirked, getting right up.

I stood there, arms by my side as Elodie tried to wait out my next move, bouncing on her feet. One thing about her though, she was impatient as a person could come and cocky as hell.

"I'm not doin' this with you, El. Not today, not tomorrow," I told her calmly.

"Hit me!" she shouted.

She'd hit me soon, and then it'd be all over for the both of us.

"Why Linda got you fightin' her battles?" I asked.

"Hit me!" Elodie shouted again.

"I'm not fightin' you, Elodie," I repeated, hands in the pockets of my sweats.

"I never liked you! I always thought you were weird!" Elodie switched tactics. I wasn't gonna let her fuck with my mind though. All the times we laughed and cried together meant something. Those things couldn't have been fake. If those moments hadn't been human then I don't know what is.

"I wanted to laugh when that bitch died," Elodie told me, huffing, fire in her eyes, "You're just so-so stupid! And nobody likes you! Except that murderer right next to you; who matters to you more than anything else, for some reason!" she spat out.

"You don't mean that, El," I shook my head.

"I do! Linda's cousin should take Kailin's spot if it was ever a battle between who could come back to Lazuli Heights," Elodie said. "Or who could come back to Earth."

"You spewin' out shit you don't mean," I shook my head.

"You killed her! It's your fault she died!" Elodie yelled, "Now hit me! Hit me, you-you murderer!"