19

O

The rest of the school week was straight ass. Cecia couldn't come back until Monday because of the fight, and neither could Elodie thankfully. Linda was only suspended for a day, so I had to feel her glaring at me each lunch and whenever we crossed paths in the halls.

So despite everything, and all the warnings, Saturday felt like a welcome blessing. I sat on the edge of Xochitl's bed as I watched her do Zeymira's braids into a halo around her head for the party. I was munching on some sweet and sour chips while a comedy horror movie played on TV, when my phone buzzed.

I didn't even want to check it.

"Maybe that's Cecia," Xochitl did a little wiggle, giving me a slick smile. "Check it."

Cecia hadn't even said anything to me since the day of the fight. Straight up confessed that she wanted me, apologized for the delivery of the confession, all just for her to go all ghost on me.

"If it is her, I don't wanna talk," I grumbled, shoving a hard, curled up chip in my mouth.

"Give her a chanceee," Zeymira advised as I crunched loudly, rolling my eyes , "You know how conflicted she is about her feelings towards you."

"Cecia's all 'I love you today' but 'I don't love you the next'," Xochitl explained on my behalf.

"Right," I agreed, "And I'm not tryna do that. I already got enough uncertainty in my life as it is. I don't wanna deal with that," I sighed. Xo and Zey already knew about my confusing feelings towards Cee.

How I didn't even know where we were as far as our friendship.

Xochitl said if we kissed that'd make us a bit more than friends. Zeymira said if we had feelings for each other that'd already make us a bit more. Regardless, I didn't like this awkward space we were in no matter what we were classified as.

"Ora, check it," Zeymira demanded.

"Fine, fine. It's prolly just a Wattpad notification," I grumbled.

I unlocked my phone and Cecia's name popped up.

"You have got to be kiddin' me. I'm not openin' her shit. It's prolly just a text sayin' not to go tonight-

"Lemme see," Xochitl had Zeymira hold her hair in place as she snatched the phone out of my hand, "I'll read it out to you," she announced.

I covered my ears, singing loudly and off-key.

"My dearest and most beautiful Orabella, may you not attend the ball on this fair night?" Xochitl said dramatically.

"Now you know damn well she ain't say-

"Okay, okay," Xochitl laughed, "But she really said some: "I know you goin' to the party anyways, so stay safe and steer...clear of me?" she frowned.

Zeymira sent Xochitl a look and Xo just shrugged.

"What?" I asked them.

"Nothing," they both said at the same time.

"What are you guys not tellin' me?" I demanded, "It's better to just tell me now before we get there!"

"Fine, fine. Ahora it is," Xochitl rolled her eyes.

They looked at each other again until Zeymira sighed, caving in to whatever silent battle that they had been having for the longest. "Fineee, I'll be the one to tell her. Okay, so, there's no better way to say this: Cecia is a serious party animal," she giggled. I stared at the both of them, "This is seriously not what this is all about, right? She don't want me to see her throwin' up? Is that it?" I demanded.