Chapter 28

Xenon delivered absurd news with a bright face.

"I resigned, princess."

Saying so, he grinned.

"I'm not going to be a butler anymore."

Falling on one knee, in one hand, he was holding strawberry ade with ice. "Do you mind if I become your good adult? I'll be an even better adult than Sir Hickson."

"...."

Viola's head got complicated. In the novel 「 The Shadow of Verratoux 」 Viola and Xenon are colleagues who work together until the second half of the story. So, why does he mean he would resign all of a sudden...?

Too much of a factor to change.

'What kind of resignation is this?'

Her head was still a bit complicated, but Viola still accepted the strawberry ade.

And, another day passed.

Consequently, Xenon's resignation was rejected.

It was arranged by Butler Carlton.

'You didn't fulfil the seven-year mandatory period.'

'If you still want to resign, follow the contract.'

'The penalty is ten billion Dahlia.'

Viola, sitting on the chair, laughed in bewilderment.

'10 billion Dahlia?'

Dahlia is similar to Korea's currency, Won. Therefore, ten billion Dahlias means that it is around ten billion won in Korean money.

[ E/N: That's around 9 million USD. ]

"You mean you signed such a ridiculous contract?"

In the novel, the details of the contract were not clearly described. So, it was Viola's first time hearing this as well.

As for the reason,

'Well, I didn't look over the details of termination because I never thought I would have to resign. The other conditions were very good.'

That was Xenon's answer...

Viola let out a sigh of relief.

'There shouldn't be this many variables.

It's understandable that there will be twists in a novel, but there shouldn't be too many variables. If she does something wrong, her neck will be severed! This is a flying world.

So, that means carefully, she has to slowly change everyone little by little.

Xenon came into her room.

Even today, he had brought strawberry ade in his hand.

"Well, that's too bad for you."

"Yes, I know."

What a bummer!

It is also mentioned directly in the novel. Only a few butlers are as good and capable as Xenon.

'This competent butler... there's no way he hasn't gone through the contract thoroughly.'

He must have known the terms of the contract. That's why he seemed to have taken a super strong initiative to resign. However, Butler Carlton wouldn't accept his resignation, and even if he does, Xenon wouldn't have been able to pay the penalty.

That means, he tested me without being obvious, and it seemed like he was testing me cleverly like this.

Truly, he's an outstanding character.