The War Begins

"We are ready to attack the insectars my lord" said a fierce looking demon.

"Alright. Go and demolish those bugs. With that, both the Filt kingdom and the Insectars' forest will be under my domain. Those foolish humans think that I am helping them by protecting them from the insectars? Heh. Ridiculous. I just needed this alliance to be able to infiltrate them and destroy them without having to face the Heroes association. Now that they have declared themselves to be under me, those puny heroes will have no say in the matter anymore" said Kainath while laughing.

"Yes Kainath sama. You don't even need to trouble yourself with this war at all. I, your greatest general, am alone enough to crush those bugs"

"Haha Of course Radiance. You have been personally named by the great Kumbha due to your extreme loyalty and capabilities. You did good to come over to our side, just like the other colors"

"Yes my lord. I will be back with good news shortly" 

*

The demon lord's army was massive. It consisted of 50,000 demons and human warriors, 10,000 greater demons and high ranking human adventurers, 1000 arch-demons out of which 500 were named along with 3 demon peers. Out of them, the strongest was Radiance, who had been named by the demon lord Kumbha himself and was among the first ones to abandon his allegiance to his red lineage and defect to his side. The other two demon peers were Ririna and Kyle from the white lineage.

They were standing on a green hill, looking at the forest in front of them which they were about to destroy.

"Hey Kyle, why are we going to such lengths just to conquer a mere forest of bugs? What is so important about that forest anyway?" asked Ririna 

"Who knows? I can't even differentiate between this forest and our private garden" replied Kyle casually.

"Just as expected from you fools. You know nothing about anything" chimed in Radiance.

"Ho? Would you care to enlighten us then Mr know it all?" said Ririna.

"Right. Listen here. The forest lies in a strategic central area in this volatile zone. On the North we have the Monster Nation under the Monster Queen Yuria, on the south and eastern side we have the Draconic Planes under the Dragon King Mahi and on the Western front we have the Demonic Nations under Demon Lord Kumbha's influence. Due to the forest's placement we will be able to monitor both the monster queen and the dragon king with much ease. And that's just one of the benefits. Do you understand it a bit now?" said Radiance in a stern voice.

 Do you understand it a bit now?" said Radiance in a stern voice

(Rough Sketch)

"Hai hai, now lets get started with the attack already" said Ririna nonchalantly.

Sigh "Why do I get the feeling that the two of you didn't even pay attention to anything I said....."

"C'mon cheer up man. I actually bothered to listen to you till the very end" said Kyle as he hit him in the back. 

"Right. That's already more than what's expected of you"

*

The army enters the Giant forest and starts searching low and high. The forest was a magnificent place, with trees going as tall as five to ten times the normal size and covered in lush green vegetation and shiny vines. The vines were a special kind of magical vegetation which absorbed sunlight in excess and illuminated the forest since the sunlight couldn't reach properly at the bottom of it. 

"Hey Kyle, what the hell is happening? We have been searching for an hour and still can't find a single one of those insects. Did they run away or something?" asked Ririna.

"Who knows. Maybe they got scared of our army and ran away afterall" replied Kyle.

"Stop talking and keep searching you two. We are going to find and crush them no matter what" ordered Radiance.

"Hai"

And so, they went even deeper into the forest. 

3 hours later-

Suddenly a soft and beautiful mist started covering the whole area. Slowly slowly the mist creeped its way. It started blocking all vision and jamming all magic communications, so much so that even thought communication was not possible anymore. 

"What the hell is this mist? I can't see anything!" said Ririna annoyed.

"Tch. Looks like we can't advance any further. Let's turn back" ordered Radiance.

"Alright"

"Don't you think its too late for you to turn back now?" came a voice from the mist.

"Who's that?" said Radiance and looked in the direction of the voice, but all he saw was a faint shadow that disappeared instantly.

The next moment, a rolling object came towards them and stopped at their feet. Radiance picked it up and as he realized what it was, a hint of fear crept into his eyes. It was then that he realized what this creepy and gloomy mist meant.

"What the hell!? That is one of our named Archdemons!"

"Radiance sama. We are under attack!" shouted a subordinate demon.

"What! Where are you speaking from?" shouted Radiance as he looked around but saw only shadows.

"Kyle! Ririna! Can you hear me?" 

"Hai we are here Radiance" said Kyle.

Radiance instantly rushed towards the direction of the voice but once again all he found was a shadow that disappeared. 

slash slash

"Aaaaarrrghhhh!" 

"Ugh. What in the world is this!"

"Aargh!"

Suddenly there started to be coming noises from all around. Radiance ran around frantically, chasing the voices but all he found at every stop was either a lost shadow or a corpse.

"Radiance!" 

"Kyle! Finally I found you. Did you find out what in the world is happening?" 

"Its an ambush. The Insectars had been waiting for us in the mist. They somehow managed to separate us into small groups and are now ambushing us one by one" said Kyle annoyed.

"Tch. Those pesky bastards! I am going to blow up this mist away!" said Radiance and charged a super power nuclear blast and launched it in the air.

The blast went up in the air and exploded, but the surrounding mist instantly covered the entire blast and nullified it.

"What the hell?!"

"We already tried that as well Radiance, but it looks like this is no ordinary mist. I can't even communicate to Ririna anymore. This mist is disrupting thought communication as well" said Kyle.

"Damn it all to hell!"

Author's note: As always, share your thoughts in the comments and upvote if you liked the chapter. If you want to chat with me or are interested in beta reading, join my discord. Link in the profile. Chapters will be released weekly now for quite some time. Thanks for reading