Practiced Hands

- 7th Year Begins -

________________________________________________________________________________

"Good morning class. Welcome to Advanced Transfiguration." Professor Weasley announced in the center of her classroom while I slowly open the doors to step in. I didn't have my entire uniform on. I was missing my robes, my short hair was more whimsy than neat. 

I was carrying OWLs and parcels that Deek had given me for Professor Weasley. He had stopped me for a conversation about the Room Of Requirement and my summer holiday. Before that, I was actually traveling back to Hogwarts via apparating but had some complications. Blasted American dark wizards.

Professor Weasley eyes me and nods. "Ah Ms. Hemlock, glad you could join us." Everyone glanced over at me to which I waved shyly. My social skills haven't been the same. I pretty much buried myself in my studies 6th year to distract myself. However, since I had more free periods, I needed to branch out more.

I slowly handed the OWLs and parcels to Professor Weasley before going to an empty desk next to Poppy. She flashed a smile at me. Her hair had gotten longer and her face had more color.

"Now for today's first lesson, can anyone tell me what an Animagus is and why is it important to educate about it?" Professor Weasley asked but the class including myself was silent. She turned to me and gestured for me to come to the front. I gulped and slowly felt my hands shake.

I stood at the center, surrounded by everyone. "Ms. Hemlock, if you could be so kind to demonstrate your newfound skills." I looked over at her, sighed, and was hesitant. I noticed how everyone I knew in this class looked older. Poppy, Natty, Amit, Garreth, Sebastian, Imelda, and Ominis. They each looked more mature. I noticed Garreth was practically giving me a cheeky grin, his eyes moving up and down.

I inhaled and exhaled before feeling my entire body magically change as I went on all four paws. Yes, paws. My body entirely transformed into a jungle Tiger, my Animagus form. I walked around everyone, feeling myself purr a little bit, swaying my tail back and forth.

Natty and Poppy were in their chairs all happy and excited about my transformation. I then proceed back to the center, transforming back into a human. Garreth slowly clapped, maintaining a smirk while others join in clapping. Ominis was silent though and Sebastian noticed how cheeky Garreth was looking at me.

"Ms. Hemlock took it upon herself on her holiday in America to learn the ways of the Animagus. I'd say she's succeeded, don't you? Tell us Aurora, what have you learned?" She asks me, again, putting me in the spot.

I begin to pace away, my hands slightly shaking. "Well, it was difficult. Becoming one isn't as simple as casting your Patronus charm. It takes a month of dedication, focus, and isolation. The Native Indigenous of America and Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry helped guide me." I start off but pause.

"However, my first transformation was painful. It felt like life or death and at the moment it was life or death for me." I finished before revealing more. I then looked up, flashing a fake smile hiding what I was truly feeling. Anger.

"I should also add that if you don't focus enough, the transformation can have consequences. It is similar to that potion making. Patience is key." Professor Weasley nodded and started off with a soft clap that was followed by everyone. I then immediately went to go sit back down and sat, looking at my hands before noticing Garreths gaze still on me. I tried not to look directly at him, my cheeks were rosy pink.

________________________________________________________________________________

I was in my Animagus form during the afternoon, wandering the shores of the black lake near the groundskeeper's home. I paced around the wet sand and rocks, thinking in my own thoughts. In this form, I felt free. I wasn't a student but something else.