Chapter 33 - Making Friends.

You turned around and jumped back slightly at the large, towering figure before yourself. There stood the exact man you were looking for-- the man you danced with all those nights ago. The very same man you couldn't take your mind off of.

"Jesus!"
You yelled out.

The mystery man tilted his head slightly at your reaction and stepped back a few steps sheepishly. You noticed his rather alarmed reaction and gave him an apologetic frown.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to yell...you just scared the crap out of me."
You laughed lightly, trying to calm the tense atmosphere.

The man said nothing, just starred at you while you shuffled uncomfortably in the spot you were standing. You tried to rack your brain for anything to talk about to try and make this uneasy feeling into a more comfortable one.

You looked around the room and your eyes glanced at the paintings you were previously admiring.

"These paintings are pretty good."
You said awkwardly-- not really knowing what to say in the moment.

Vincent tilts his head and you saw his eyes glance behind your form at the paintings as well. You heard him seem to groan - which you assumed was suppose to be a hum in uncertainty - with a shrug to your statement.

"Did...did you paint them?"
You asked the mystery man in front of you.
"They're all signed the name 'Vincent' at the bottom...and well, I don't know anyone named Vincent; so I just figured, maybe it was you..?"

You wanted to slap yourself for speaking so strangely.

'He probably isn't even going to answer, it was stupid of me to even ask-'

The "Mystery Man" nods. You gave him a look of surprise, even though the response wasn't verbal, it didn't matter, because it was something and that's a hell of a start.

"Well, Vincent, you're a really good artist. Have you ever considered going public, maybe?"
You smiled. You were trying to make conversation with Vincent so that he could feel more indulgent with you.

Vincent's eyes widened under the mask he wore and immediately shook his head 'no'.

"Why not? These paintings are beautiful, more people should be able to see and appreciate them. Don't you think?"
You reasoned, as you turned to stare at the paintings once more.

Vincent's steps were hesitant but eventually he shuffled up to your side, also staring at the paintings.

Vincent had never heard such kind words from someone-- he was so use to being degraded and neglected, he hadn't even known what kindness was. But once he heard the praise you gave him, he felt...appreciated.

He tilted his head at the paintings, staring at it in thought. Vincent turned his gaze from the painting to you, your E/C eyes still admiring the pieces of art work. He stared at you with soft eyes that also held a hint of curiousness. Why were you so kind? The art wasn't anything special, it wasn't even his best work. But yet...you still stare at them as though they were the finest portrayal in the world.

Your eyes trailed from one painting to the next before pointing at a painting that was a field of flowers and had a woman in a sundress standing in the middle of the field. She was holding onto her sun hat as her pale, yellow dress blew in the "wind". The sky was a light blue and the flowers were all sorts of colors, the flowers stood with long pieces of grass which also were tilting due to the wind.

"I like this one the best. The details on the flowers and on the woman, its...amazing."
You said, still not looking away from the art.

Vincent looked at the painting then furrowed his eyebrows. That was his least favorite painting that he had done. Even so, it was your favorite..? Vincent stared at it and somehow-- his view on it changed. He noticed all the little details on the flowers and on the woman that you had said there were. How had he never seen them before? How did you just saying a simple few words change his sight on everything he didn't like about it? You intrigued him more and more by the minute.

Vincent looked back at you, only this time, you felt his eyes on you and your irises met his. You smiled at him and he still just stared at you.

"So...um, could I ask you a question?"
You wondered and looked into Vincent's eyes.
"Its kind of been on my mind for awhile now and I feel like if I don't ask, I'll go insane."

Vincent tilted his head but after a few seconds he nodded slowly.

"Why did you dance with me that night in the kitchen?"
You looked at him with curiosity and a small smile.
"It was nice, don't get me wrong. I even kind of...well, liked dancing with you; but why did you do it?"

Vincent looked away from your eyes and then to a painting he did of a woman holding her head in her hands, seaming distressed or upset about something, wearing old fashioned clothes that people would have worn in the Victorian times, as a man with a top hat and old fashioned clothes as well rubbed her back-- comforting her.

Vincent pointed to the painting and your gaze followed the direction his was aiming to.

You looked at the painting and your eye brows furrowed in confusion at what he meant. You looked at him with uncertainty written all over your face and he huffed.

He pointed to you, then to the woman with her head in her hands. Then he pointed to himself, then to the man rubbing her back.

Your eyes widened in realization.
"You were trying to comfort me?"

Vincent nodded.

Your heart warmed at the new found information, at last getting your mind to ease after finally having your questions answered.

You smiled warmly up at Vincent.

"Well, that is just about the sweetest thing anyone has probably ever done for me..."
You laughed softly with a hint of slight sadness-- realizing that was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you.

You couldn't help yourself, you hugged Vincent tightly. Vincent was taken aback and had wide eyes at your sudden action.

Vincent managed to calm himself down slightly and patted your hair softly, hugging you back in his own way.

"Thank you, Vincent. That night really helped me feel happy, I haven't felt that way since...a long time, actually."

You rested the side of your head against his chest and sighed.

Vincent seemed to let out a light chuckle and rubbed your back. Making you laugh as well, in content.