Party in the house

Cyclea's POV:-

"So, what about the ring? Was all that a lie?" Donovan asked.

"A half-truth. I prefer it that way. I have always had the ring." Removing it from my back pocket, I showed that sparkling thing to Donovan. I believed it was cursed by now, or I was. I believed the latter.

I pushed the ring back inside the pocket, besides the ring always represented our cherished memories, something I would love to remember. Or I just knew I would need it tonight. To save me from my death.

"I don't trust the police because of what happened with my dad, I know you know that, but I am just not comfortable talking about it. I know it's been 6 years since we have been friends and you'll never ask about that; but I need you to know, that I trust you. Completely."

"Completely?" Donovan said

"Yes!" I replied

"One hundo percent C?"

"One hundo percent. D" A smile fluttered down his face.

Tears dripped down my eyes, but just once they were from saying my mind. The truth, maybe it didn't feel that heavy now. My chest felt lighter since I had let some feelings out. Maybe a tissue was my best friend now, as I took someone from Donovan's dashboard. I don't know why would anyone have an ample supply of that in their car. Let alone a man.

"D" I like that. Donovan said.

"Me, too," I replied.

I keep hearing Edmound wailing, crying and that knife going into his abdomen. My frugal mind keeps repeating that scene over and over again hoping for something different, something that might click, anything a hint, a clue. Suddenly I get it, remember it, Ed saying something. I pull my eyes closer together and shut them. Put my entire focus on that memory. 'Semper Invictus' he says, and then I see him stop moving. Everything goes cold. Ed goes cold.

"Semper Invitus no, no, one second; Semper Invictus." I yell out loud without recognizing there is someone with me. Pulled back to reality I guess.

"What's that, Semper Invictus? Do you know" Pointing towards, D, hoping for some clarity and a clue, I ask.

"No, I don't think so. It's Latin maybe, because people from the marine corps say Semper Fi. But I don't know. Why do you say that?" A perplexed face turned to me and I had to say the truth I couldn't lie now.

"I heard Ed say it before his death. I think it means something about the killers."

"Maybe you can search it on the phone."

"Right, can I have yours?" I asked

"Why, where's yours? I am pretty sure everyone in the 21st century has one."

" I left it in my apartment because the body was there, the police can track me."

"Right, sorry about that."

"Stop apologizing, I don't think it can help me at this point."

"Right, sorr- never mind."

He cut his sorry short and handed me his phone saying "Take this, I shouldn't look at my phone while driving. I am a police officer." He said as if he was doubting it. Then, he offered his phone.

"What's the password?"

"It's 18293, my birth date."

"I thought that I recognized it somewhere."

It took me just a second to decrypt it; then I replied. " As it turns out you were right, it is Latin, it means always undefeated, what! Why would he say that before dying? Shit that doesn't bring us any closer to finding the killer."

I felt utterly rejected, desolated but also a little hopeful, whatever the killer was looking for, Ed didn't give it away, he wasn't saying that to the killers he was saying that to me. I just have to find what the killers were looking for before them. Nobody said this would be easy, I kept thinking to myself.

"I am really sorry! But we will find him, soon C. You just have to be patient. We'll figure it out."

"Yeah, I will. We will." Ringggg, ringgg, something in my hand started wiggling; I looked down to see the blood in my hand, gushing red, my hand can't cover it anymore. All Ed's but this time there was something else also, a phone. It was D's phone was ringing.

"Someone named 'Oscar' is calling you, is it about that party you were supposed to attend." I wanted to throw that phone far away, but I just had to relax. 'Breathe,' I remember my therapist telling me.

"Yeah, just cut it off, he'll know I am not free. And stop bothering me. Pass me my phone back, will you,"

"Yeah, sure, and how long will it take to reach Chatam house."

"We are here. Now. Let's go."

Saying that the engine stopped and the car came to a halt our next destination is waiting for us just inside that house.

It was a mansion, like all on the street except it was lighted up like Christmas. Lights bright enough to blind the incomers. I checked my watch and it was 4 in the morning, what could be happening inside? The lawn looked like it hadn't been mowed in ages, with overgrown shrubs and grasses. Along with chips packets and empty bottles of wine covering the garden. Then I heard the ghoulish beats, and I realised there were myriads of people jumping up and down inside, dancing. I could see partially through one of the windows and the open door.

"Is that a-"

I pointed towards the roof while, Donovan completed my sentence while he was just as confounded as me.

"Yep, toilet paper on the roof. "

But all that cleared up when I saw a couple of teenagers, getting out of the house, with slurred words and legs fumbling like a dandelion in the wind. One cigarette in hand and booze in another.

"Is that what I think it is?"

"Yep, Ms. Geneva is a drug dealer, or booze dealer, or just a party person..." Donovan said.

"Yeah, no definitely a drug dealer, this is her house," I replied

"Yeah! She is." Donovan sighed saying that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

"A real friend is one who walks in your life when the rest of the world walks out."

-Walter Winchell