Chapter 4

Harper gives some of Kate's notebooks to Caity, who ruminates through them on her own, needing to clear her heart.

"I don't know if I'll be able to come on Saturday, dad is angry, but he's especially worried that there's a lawsuit.

— It was self-defense, the parents of the big idiot are not going to try anything, everything is against their son. But you hit him hard anyway," reminds Harper.

"Barely a hit!" explains Caity.

"Yes, but you know I know the power of your punches, I know who taught you how to punch. We were at the same school.

— But he hurt CR.

— Yes, and I would certainly have hit him too, but outside, off camera. You exposed everyone, Caity. A prosecution and, imagine the worst, an indictment and it's over. You will never do law. You have to be careful.

— I know, Harper. It just made me angry. I like that one," she says, changing the subject.

"Yeah, I think it's unanimous. How do you see it? I have several tempos on the computer, shall we try?"

Launching a program he downloaded, Caity tries to adapt the text according to the rhythm, but it doesn't work. Clara-Rose, returning with a tray containing drinks and sandwiches, sits next to Caity and, looking at the text, listens to her cousin.

"I think we have to go with a softer rhythm, do you have something with a less dance tempo? Yeah... no. Another? No. Stop! Go ahead Caity, just read it. That, there," she says, looking at the computer screen, "is to lower the bass and what does this one do? Can you lower the volume so it's just in the background?

— You're right, I like it," confirms Harper.

"It's because Caity has a nice voice. Wait, let's do it again and I'll record it. Is your program a demo version or you can save your samples?

— Full version.

— Nice! What title do we give it? Kate hadn't.

"Alone in the dark?" offers Caity.

"Sold! smiled Clara-Rose. "Ready Harper? Caity? I start recording!"

The music coming out of the computer is not of the best quality, but listening to each other, the three cousins are thrilled. Rummaging through the notebooks, they make other attempts for almost an hour, singing all of the roles, in duets. Finding interesting rhythms, doubling refrains, adapting Kate's texts. A vibration from Caity's phone indicates she needs to go home. She kisses Harper and Caity, then hurries home, trying to cut corners so she can go to Saturday's party.

Clara-Rose, leaning against the sofa, lets herself go, inspired by the past two hours, singing, finding rhythms, guiding Harper to find the rhythm that speaks to her.

"CR?"

Tilly's voice surprises her, making her jump and blush. Abigail and Tilly are outside, the door is ajar, and they watch, blissfully, their daughter sing.

"Excuse me mom," she apologizes, putting away Kate's notebooks. "I wanted to help you and...

"You have a lovely voice, honey," she reassures her.

"You find?" Clara-Rose asks, surprised.

Entering the studio, Tilly approaches and hugs her daughter.

"A magnificent voice. Kate's lyrics were beautiful when you sang them.

— Hi, Harper," kisses Abigail. "I called Beth, telling her you were with us a while longer.

— Thank you tata. You are pretty in your dress. How was your evening?