Chapter 9

Leaving class to go to the cafeteria, Harper sees Clara-Rose having a chat with a group of girls and he would have just gone to settle down with his friends and eat if she wasn't playing with her curls, a finger tangling in her locks. Harper knew her well enough to know that Clara-Rose was annoyed. Turning to get a better look at her, he stood up as she placed her hand in her hair, brushing it back.

She's angry.

Harper had rarely seen Clara-Rose angry, the only time he had witnessed it he thought it was in one of his aunt's movies, the one with the scientist who turns into a green colossus. Abigail kept picking her up, annoying her when she just wanted to read. Forcing her to do sports, she corrected her, asking her if she was doing it on purpose or if all this bad will was innate in her. Clara-Rose exploded in a second, and the blow surprised Abigail, it had been delivered with precision and enough power to hurt her. But Clara-Rose was angry. The kick landed was blocked by her mother, redoubled Clara-Rose's anger as she kicked, over and over, until Harper came and called her name, snapping her out of her rage. Abigail sat up to catch her breath, and saw herself, years ago, with her own anger.

"You are beautiful, my daughter," she said, hugging her. "Mom is proud of you. »

Harper doesn't know what the girls are talking about with Clara-Rose, but obviously one of them was going to pay the price and she was going to end up in the hospital.

"Hey, girls," he said as he approached. "Hi, CR! What's new?

— It's none of your business, Harper, get out of here," said one of the girls, as another one reached out to push him back.

— Now it concerns me. I'm the head of the school welfare committee, so tell me, am I planning a fight? It will change us from Saturdays," he says, taking out his phone, starting to tap away. "So Clara-Rose versus... Charlyne.

— Forget it Harper. I just came to pass on a message. My boyfriend is the brother of the football player who got into trouble with Clara and got hit from behind by your friend, the redhead. My boyfriend wants to reset the counters.

— So your boyfriend wants to hit Clara-Rose?" said Harper, pressing her full name. "I'm fine with that. The disused building behind the bus stop on the corner of Bolton and Chadwick, at 4 pm. Call him and confirm. NOW!" roared Harper, making her turning on her heels and grabbing her phone before returning a smile on her lips.

"He agree. His brother will be there too, to make sure it's settled.

— Perfect!" smiled Harper, tapping on his phone, before several beeps echoed through the cafeteria.

"Hey! Why is it your name, Harper?" gets angry Charlyne.

"You think I'm going to let your boyfriend hit Clara-Rose, to save his brother's honor. No, I'm his opponent.

— My boyfriend is in the wrestling team I'll tell you.

— Good for him. See you at four o'clock girls!" he concluded, putting his arm over Clara-Rose's shoulder, pulling her away.

"You should have let me, Harper. I am not afraid

— I know, I'm scared for him," he smiled, placing a peck on her cheek.

"You're going to get in trouble, it's going to be filmed.

— Don't worry," he said, remaining mysterious.

Leaving his meal tray on the table of a student who cannot always afford a real meal, putting his hand on his shoulder, Harper heads for the book club, then the theater, before going to class smiling. When three o'clock strikes, Harper, surrounded by his friends, heads for the fighting area, before he goes to settle in a corner and wait. There was a crowd to watch two teenagers banging each other. The human being is truly the strangest creature to walk the Earth, Harper philosophized for himself, capable of the best as well as the worst. Bread and games, they said in ancient Rome, by organizing gladiator fights. That's exactly what it was, except the fight was rigged, like the Romans. One of the two was going to the slaughterhouse and it was not the one everyone thought, seeing the boyfriend arrive. While most had agreed to the condition not to film, Harper knew that some would do it anyway, those accompanying the visiting team.