Chapter 33

Harper decided to leave for Cornell the next day, Clara-Rose not wanting to hear any explanation. Seeing their daughter come home crying, throwing herself into Julia's arms, Tilly and Abigail quickly crossed the street, spending a long time talking. They were more or less understanding considering the context, however not forgiving, and left the house with a simple "goodbye Harper". He talked with his mothers part of the night before making his decision, which they support unconditionally. Leaving Ella to raise this child alone is out of the question. He was now part of the family. Kara and Bethany already loved the Ella that Harper described to them, with her family problems, her false identity under which she studied and intended to live by cutting ties with her family. The fact that she was linked to the Chicago Mafia didn't bother them that much. This girl had an experience that spoke to them, and she was carrying their son's child. Showing what he had found for the start of the school year, Harper's bank account was funded accordingly, he and Ella were going to live together on campus to take care of the baby. Calling Ella to let her know he was coming home, she announced that she was coming back home too, having a lot of things to plan.

"Wait, let me introduce you," he said, putting his phone on a stand.

"Hello, Ella, my name is Kara, I'm Harper's mother.

— Oh my God, he looks so much like you. Nice to meet you, Madam.

— Hi, I'm Bethany, the second mom.

— Nice to meet you too, Madam. I apologize for causing you any trouble. It really wasn't intentional, it's just...

— Arrived," smiled Kara. "Don't worry, we won't let you down, we'll be here for you and your child. Even if you decide to continue your journey on your side, you can count on us.

— Thank you," cries Ella.

"Hey, don't cry, Ella," murmur Bethany.

"You're so different from my family, they're just waiting for me to screw up and to come home.

"Do you need money, Ella? To go back to university?

— No thank you, Harper lent me some. I had taken an open ticket not knowing how long I would stay when my parents saw my condition. With what Harper left me, I'm going to buy food, now my account is dry until the end of the month.

— We will meet during summer vacation, if you don't mind. It's tense here, I'm not sure you're welcome.

— I understand, I'm sorry.

— We will come, where we will rent something somewhere to change your air. But we'll see each other soon. In the meantime, take care of yourself and the little one you are carrying. You need to have positive thoughts, everything will be fine.

— Thank you. I am happy to know you.

— So do we," confirms Bethany. "We'll leave you with Harper, see you soon.

— Your moms are as nice as you told me, Harper. Are you angry?

— Angry, no. It's not really what I had planned, but... you know I like you. As soon as I get home, I go to see the housing office to change residence for the start of the school year. You and me. If you continue east on Jessup, there are residences for young families, if you don't mind, we'll both live there. Townhouse with two bedrooms.

— But it's expensive, Harper.

— Never mind that, Ella. Come on, tell me a bit about what you've been up to since you ghosted me. I missed talking to you. No other worries, no enemy ambushed?"

Ella giggles, curling up under her duvet.

"Courses, articles. I published three of them, including the one on the Good Samaritan."