Chapter 16

Hardly through the doors, pulling his suitcase, Harper drops it as Clara-Rose comes running in, throwing herself into his arms, kissing him like a hysterical at the launch of the latest iPhone kisses the box of the object of her desire. Nothing and no one existed around them. Embraced in each other's arms, they were complete again.

"I missed you," she said, her face buried in his neck.

"It feels good to be home. I feel... united. You are even more beautiful than when I left, my love," he said, placing his palm on her cheek, stroking it with his thumb.

"Um... kids? Let's go?" smiled Bethany.

"Hello Mom," smiled Harper as she picked up his suitcase.

"Just hello, no kisses?

— I missed you," he laughed, throwing himself into her arms.

"And so are you," she smiles, with difficulty holding back a tear that runs down her son's shoulder. "Lets' go. There are people on the road."

Riding back home Harper talks with Clara-Rose, with her mother, in order to calm her nervousness. He tells them about Cornell, the friends he has made, the courses he is taking, the projects he is already working on, personal projects and his work. His mother constantly asks questions, especially concerning his social life, knowing his son, he must certainly already offer to help those in difficulty. But she learns that he attend only one party, spending his time working in his room or doing sports.

Barely parked, Harper jumps out of the Jeep and inhales as he looks around his neighborhood. Nothing has changed and it makes him feel good.

"Who is here?" he asks, looking around.

"Mom is at the restaurant, but will be home early. Sean works. Caity came by earlier, she went shopping with Shanna.

— Moms are in the studio, it's the final cut. The movie comes out in three weeks. I have the house all to myself," she says, putting a finger to her mouth like an ingenue.

"Well, I'm off. See you later, BBQ at Sean's tonight.

— See you later, Mom."

Impatient, Clara-Rose drags Harper towards the house, then her room where, finally, she can let go and kiss him. Lying in bed, they take advantage of this moment to reconnect, kissing, caressing, talking. The phone rings and, in doubt, she reaches for it, showing Harper the face in the background, requesting a video call.

"Hi, Julia!

— Hi, beauty, I wanted to see if the handsome had arrived!

— Hey, you!" Harper replies, tilting his head.

"Hi! Try not to damage her for me with your reunion, I want her back in one piece!

— Aren't you a bit possessive with my girlfriend? smiled Harper.

"It's not you who are taken with her, once you return to your rich boy's university. I have to fix her!

— I'll be careful, Julia. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

— You too. Bye CR, kisses.

— Bye, Julia, I kiss you on the cheek.

— Ah la la," laughs Julia before cutting off the communication.

"Oh, man," Clara-Rose smiled after putting down her phone and removing Harper's t-shirt, "it's true, you're more muscular." Myself, I resumed training a few days ago, you don't tell anyone about it, okay? I hit a guy in a club several days ago, Julia wanted to take my mind off it and we went dancing, and one of them decided to do without my opinion. Oh how good I felt. Everything came back to me, even if I do it less than you.