Chapter 17

Beep beep beep beep.

An annoying sound reaches Clara-Rose's ears. Opening her eyes, she bends down to grab her phone and stop the ringing before lying on her back and staring at the ceiling.

Already December.

In three weeks she would be with Harper again, then it would be spring break, then summer vacation, and a year would have passed. Driving Harper to the airport was less of a pain than she thought, she could spend nights with him, their mothers had let them. Harper had matured, although he was the youngest of the three children, he was the most responsible, in the eyes of their parents, who were unaware of his hacker side. If Sean had discovered his dealings, he would have been frankly disappointed. But Harper had wiped out all traces of his "criminal organization," as Caity called it.

No more blues!

Clara-Rose was determined to keep her word and let off steam at the martial arts club. She had seen the look of the other members, male and female, and they might be surprised when they saw her arrive in uniform. She had found one that she liked, differentiating it from the others who would be in kimono. She had bought a traditional Chinese outfit, worn in Kung-Fu or Tai-Chi. When she tried it on, she loved it, took her picture, but didn't send it to anyone. She longed to let off steam on the tatami at the end of the day.

Turning her head, she giggled in her pillow, watching Julia sleep, her mouth hanging open, her head hanging in the air.

"Stand up groundhog," she said, leaning over, placing a peck on Julia's nose.

— You live dangerously," she muttered. "Within a few centimeters and there was no going back.

— In fact, that's all you think about?

— What?" Julia asks, sitting up with a grimace before stretching, cracking her bones. "Sex or you?

— It's not the same? You want to sleep with me.

— It's true. And sex is rare these days," smiles Julia as she gets up, her belly in the air, her shorts making her into a thong.

— Are you saving yourself for me? asks Clara-Rose, holding her gaze.

Julia shrugs nonchalantly.

"I'm too busy," she says, taking out a towel and her toiletry bag. "Oh no! I have sensitive breasts. I'm going to have my period soon. If I'm lucky, I'll fuck at Christmas."

Lying face down on her bed, Clara-Rose listened to her, smiling, her chin resting on the palms of her hands.

"What are you doing at Christmas?

— I won't be your Christmas gift, I won't fuck with you, Julia," laughs Clara-Rose. "Harper will be there, he'll be in my bed.

— Exactly, look at the benefits. Follow my logic, you'll see, it's infallible. You're sleeping with Harper, I'm coming, with all due respect. I knock on the door.

— We have a doorbell.

— I'm ringing the doorbell," Julia said, mimicking her actions. "I'm going in, going to your room.

— It's upstairs.

— I'm going up the stairs," mimics Julia. "Stupor! You are in full coitus with the beautiful Harper. I knock on the door, I apologize for the inconvenience, I came to bring back the pen that you lent me.

— That's nice of you," laughs Clara-Rose.

"We finally met with the handsome one, he likes me, appreciates my humor and my natural grace. Rebound, he proposes that I join you. No, my God! I refuse, shocked to do this to my best friend. But I am a coward, I succumb to his demonic advances. Did he hypnotize me, drug me, I don't know. I'm lying in your bed, having my duct swept, it's important in winter, you have to clear the way for Santa Claus, so a little help, it doesn't hurt. I'm terribly embarrassed, you're there, lying naked next to me. What to do?" she says in a theatrical pause. "I devote myself, I fulfill your wildest desires, and I make love to you like no one has ever done to you. The End.