Chapter 12

The car passed through the imposing gate of the university, following the stream of cars pouring through it. Kara enters the main tree-lined avenue that crosses the university campus and drives slowly, looking for the building where Harper will live for the next few years. Scanning a parking space, Bethany waved at Kara when she spotted one. She loved this atmosphere, these buildings steeped in history. Bethany knew she would have enjoyed college, seeing herself studying literature, even being a professor there. The campus was a good size and, knowing his son, he was going to blend in as if he had always lived here. He was like her, appreciating history and that passion for stones that she had had since her first visit to France when she was Harper's age.

The drive from Los Angeles to Ithaca, New York, was long but necessary, allowing Harper to be reunited with his family, just for him. His mothers still radiated with their beauty even if, here and there, age was beginning to leave small wrinkles. He was proud of them, despite their past. He would have liked to speak to them, to take advantage of all these kilometers of road to tell them what he knew and what they could fill. Kara had given her one more piece, but there was a lot missing. He knew when Bethany disappeared from her home and when she first appeared on camera, in between, it was a mystery. He knew that this first film was the one where she met Kara, then already at the peak of her career. He knew the exact day his mothers met, and that suited him, knowing that they were still together almost thirty years later, that meant something. But he dared not say anything, contenting himself with watching them cross their fingers together, noting Bethany's apprehensions around the trucks, guessing that her missing years had something to do with her fear of trucks that he had always known from her, imagining an accident or a kidnapping, refusing to imagine anything else.

When Kara cut the engine, he got out, stretching.

"Here we are, son," smiled Bethany.

Casting a glance around, he watched the families passing each other in a ballet of boxes and suitcases, long embraces, tears. The commotion was palpable.

Harper observed the modern construction bearing a name from the Cayuga Nation and its English translation on a small plaque.

"Come on, hop, let's unload! she said, pulling out a suitcase. "Your room number?"

"402."

Crossing the door, a banner welcomes new students. The stress was mounting a little in the elevator, and the fact that his two mothers were patting him on the back was even less reassuring, like being led to the electric chair.

"Ah, but that's not bad," smiles Kara. Double bed, trash can and recycling bin, Wow. And air conditioning, this is luxury. Can you remind me how much we pay for this?" laughs Kara, looking at the three-drawer dresser, wardrobe, desk, chair, and lamp. "It's Spartan.

— But there's Wi-Fi," smiled Harper, holding up his phone.

— Money is nothing. Your son is going to invent the teleporter, even a TARDIS to shut up Abby and Tilly' mouths. Oh sorry, honey," realizes Bethany.

"You want some help getting your stuff out?" asks Kara, looking for any excuse to stay with her son a little longer.

"I'll be fine, Mom," he said, hugging her.

"I know, but it's going to be a long time without you. You are all the good that I have done in this country. You know I'm not... Kara, and I thank you for never trying to find out more. Someday we'll talk," she said, pulling Bethany to join her.

"I know, my beloved moms. Well, not everything. I'm missing a bit. I love you, it's all that matters.

— How so, you know?" they ask at the same time, surprised.