Chapter 25

The midterm exams only confirmed that Clara-Rose was gifted, her papers published, her name circulating and she was only a freshman. Nowhere did the last name of Abigail and everyone she knew in show business appear, so there was no question of any favoritism. Only Julia knew who Clara-Rose was. She worked on her lessons, followed her workshops, did improvisation, joined Caity in a café, to discuss and spend time with her, leaving Clara-Rose to work and write. Julia had sympathized with Caity, the two got along rather well, this one giving a little of her time to help Julia.

Nearly two months after the holidays, Julia was already in better shape, mastering her breath, her gestures, her concentration. The weekends she spent with Abby were intense, but she had absolutely no regrets. She alternated between practicing movements and training to improve her balance and knowledge of her body and her abilities, Abby having placed a wooden board on a tube, to teach her balance, replacing the cylindrical tube with a ball when she managed to stand up after hours of trying. Today, she held onto the ball perfectly, allowing herself to taunt Abigail with a few moves, mostly wanting to impress her, making Abigail smile.

Sitting in meditation for a moment, Julia watched Abigail.

"Can I ask you a personal question?" she asks hesitantly.

"Of course.

— Your tattoo, what is its meaning?

— I had a great anger buried in me, I always had and knew. This tattoo is from when I was a teenager, meaning I was a ticking bomb.

— I remember your video, in the center for young people.

— Yes, Jackson. I exploded that day, becoming completely blinded by my rage. My sister, Bethany, stepped in before I seriously injured him or worse.

— Does CR have the same anger in her?

— Don't worry, CR is stronger than I am, she masters better than I did. There is an anger, yes, but less. You watch over her, like in that club a few months ago.

— You are aware of that?

— Of course. Sean tells me everything. We watch over each other, just like you now.

— I will never disappoint you, Abby.

— I'm not. You have changed a lot. Be yourself, Julia, don't try to become who I was or who you think I want you to be. You have a beautiful personality, it's only your body that I change, your abilities. I will offer you roles, yes, but to you, to the new you, not to a pseudo-me.

— I understand. You invest a lot in me, in time, in money, how could I repay you, Clara-Rose is already precious to me as a friend, but could I one day thank you publicly, say that I have been your pupil?

— Yes, of course, I would be honored, probably even, if Sam doesn't retire by then, that I take you on the set of his show to introduce you before the release of your first film.

— I owe you my career Abby," cries Julia softly.

"Hey, wait until you get one," laughs Abigail, hugging her. "Come practice on the dummy," said Abigail, reaching out to help her up, then watching her run through the garden. Abigail was appreciating her more and more, thanking her daughter for the time she spent with her. Julia had changed physically. Her shoulders becoming more square, her musculature a little more apparent, her body more chiseled. Julia had good muscle tone, she still had to gain technique and speed, before moving on to accessories. She still had months of work ahead of her.

Clara-Rose followed the progress of Harper's work, impressed by his project, the parts he had already built, by the 3D video of what his project would be when finished. She had always known he was brilliant, but what he was showing her went way beyond that. She no longer regretted insisting that he go to Cornell. If he had stayed, he wouldn't be at this level, nor her. If the first times were nothing but despair, Clara-Rose had taken herself in hand. Together at UCLA, they would have parasitized each other, screwing up their schooling to live their love. In a month, she would see Harper again, it had been months since she had touched him, kissed him. She yearned for his presence, for his smell. She finishes proofreading before saving her homework and shutting down her computer. She had stayed to work in her room, Bethany having to pick her up later that evening to take her home. Having confirmed that she would be in about twenty minutes, Clara-Rose took her things and went out to wait near the parking lot. Sitting on a bench, she slipped her headphones over her ears and put on some music while she waited.