Chapter 7

Tony Wheaters, Devon's friend, didn't seem like the brightest of sidekicks, but once in character he proved to be quite resourceful. He had collected the key to the room, put on the costume lent by the theater club and even wore the tie rather well. Harper was in hiding when the liquor and drink delivery arrived, as did the food delivery. Pizza for everyone. He pretended to be on the phone, humming all the way through the conversation and signing delivery slips and tipping delivery people, all without having to speak. A genius! He had worked around the problem of his voice changing like a boss. With the help of his usual team, Harper installs the ordered chairs, the tables, puts garbage cans everywhere, posters on the walls indicating where the toilets are, the exit, the room to vomit. The sound system is connected, the acoustic panels placed everywhere, the windows barricaded. Harper's parties are the most popular, because they are the best organized and everyone gets something out of them, drug-free, that's the only condition. Passing through an alley, all those who come to have fun arrive, either by paying their entrance on the spot, or having already paid for it via Harper's application.

He is taking out cases of beer from the kitchen when two hands land on his eyes, before arms wrap around him.

"Hi, my love," said the only voice that could afford it.

"I was looking forward to seeing you," he said, turning around, kissing Clara-Rose passionately.

"Already?" exclaims Caity as she walks into the kitchen wearing a crop top. "I say it's hot. So is it tonight?" she asks in front of a red-cheeked Clara-Rose. "I'm happy for you both. I'll cover you when it's time. Ah, my little loves, I love you. Come dance a little with me!"

On rotation, someone was in charge of the bar area, collecting empty bottles, someone was emptying the garbage cans and putting in new bags. Harper had a team to take care of everything, which he paid handsomely for. When they vacated the premises there was usually no damage other than a huge pile of trash bags in the alley and crates of empty bottles. In the entry, Harper always left some money and a "Thank you" note.

Harper was dancing with Caity and Clara-Rose, having fun, when the mood between the two lovers changed, becoming more tactile. Taking Clara-Rose by the hand, he led her into a closed office he had prepared. Pulling out the key, he holds the door open for her, as she discovers a room decorated with candles in tealight holders, flowers, sunflowers and daisies, Clara-Rose's favorite flowers. Layers of roll foam were installed in the center of the desk. Locking the office, Harper stared at the woman he had always loved, under the flickering candlelight.

"It's beautiful, Harper. You did this for me?

— Of course. With the means at hand. Are you in doubt, are you nervous?

— No way. You have earned your gift and it is tonight that you can unwrap it.

— I love you CR. It's so hard not to tell you every fucking day.

— I know my love, I know. Come on," she said, taking off her t-shirt and laying down. "I'm yours."

Harper loved Clara-Rose as far back as he can remember. Often, when her "cousins" came to sleep at the house, he woke up in the middle of the night while Clara-Rose came to join him in his bed, snuggling up against him. In all the schools, and classes they went to, they went there holding hands, they stayed glued to each other. They had always been there for each other. Their first child kiss at eight, their first real kiss at twelve, the confession of their feelings, the kisses in secret, holding hands in secret under the table. Until today. There were only a few months left before he left for Cornell and, for the first time, they were separated. Clara-Rose wanted the first man she slept with to be Harper. She wanted him to be her only, but was afraid Cornell's estrangement would get the better of their feelings. Harper was a huge hit, she was aware of it, she heard the girls planning all sorts of tricks to get their hands on them, but Harper only thought and lived for one girl, her. It made her even more special. Her too was desired by others, she was aware of her physique, and she did not hesitate to snub the guys and girls who came to try their luck. She too, her heart was taken, taken by the one who made love to her. Clara-Rose had never imagined feeling that, yet her mothers spoke freely about sexuality with her, but they had never told her that she would feel so much emotion. As if every part of her body was sensitive to Harper's caresses, kisses. He loved her and she loved him back. As she came, she made the decision to confess her feelings to her mothers, to Harper's mothers. They could not not know that they loved each other, it was more and more fragrant these last months. Clara-Rose screamed her love for him and held him against her as he came, staring at her with dilated pupils, shortness of breath, loving.