Chapter 23

"I thought you froze to death in a snowdrift," scolds Clara-Rose, when Harper calls to wish her a Merry Christmas.

"Sorry, I have almost no network, I was working on my projects and I just went to bed.

— What did you eat for Christmas?

— Pizza.

— It sucks, Harper.

— What can I tell you, I don't control the weather.

— I missed you. It was nice yesterday, as always, but you weren't there."

Harper and Clara-Rose talk for almost an hour on the phone, even talking for a moment with Julia when he sees her pass, congratulating her for following Abigail's teaching, annoying her by telling that she was finally going to be interesting to watch.

"Say right now that I'm ugly!" she says, angry.

"Basic, let's say. You're like other golden retrievers, a cutie. But there, it's as if you had a nice little necklace and more.

— I don't like your reference, handsome.

— I made an effort, I placed golden to mark the hockey team of your city.

— Plus one for effort, then," smiled Julia. "It's okay, aren't you pissing yourself off too much by being alone?

— A bit though. But I have my computers, I will work and get ahead in my projects. If I want to make a terminator, I have to get started ASAP.

— I was happy to talk to you. See you on the next vacation. I'll give you CR again. see you soon.

— Bye Jules!

— Hey! Ok, that's cool, I like it. Bye," she laughs, handing the phone back to Clara-Rose.

"Call your moms, my love, they were sad yesterday.

— I was going to, you were first on my list, I will end up with Caity and her parents. I love you," he said, hanging up.

Stuffing her phone in her back pocket, Clara-Rose curls up on the sofa, staring out at the garden. She can't help it, no matter what she does, her mind always leads her back to Harper, wanting him near her.

"Hey," whispers Julia as she steps into her line of sight, kneeling down to rest her elbows on the couch and her chin on her palms. "Don't be sad, CR, you know I don't like seeing you like this. Do you want to go for a walk to clear your mind?

— No

— Do you want to watch a movie while eating junk food?

— No.

— Do you want to make love with me?

— It's tempting... but no," smiled Clara-Rose.

"I would have tried.

— Plus one for perseverance, Julia.

— You don't have to make love to me, I can take care of it alone, you let yourself go, it will do you good.

— Julia...

— Okay, I'll stop. The best jokes are the shortest as they say. I'll go back to the residence and leave you with the family. It was nice of you to invite me to spend Christmas with you, I really appreciate it. You will thank your moms for me," she said, standing up.

— Stay, Julia. Want to practice?

— With you? Yes, I do," smiles Julia.

"Do you ever rest?

— You know what it is, when you have a fixed idea. I never hid it from you, CR, you are my obsession. Even if it's only one-way, I like your presence near me and I'm happy with it. Teach me, please," said Julia, stretching.