Chapter 4

INT. BROOM CLOSET — MOMENTS LATER

MARKOWSKI: (dazed) We are humanity's last hope....

We see Markowski passed out in Zangief's briefs. An armored foot kicks Markowski's leg in, slams the door, and breaks off the door handle. It's Ralph in Markowski's armor, his gut hanging out. He SUCKS in his breath, PULLS UP his pants. Breathes a sigh of relief. His gut pops back out.

INT. GAME CENTRAL STATION

FEMALE ANNOUNCER ON PA: Attention! The arcade will open in five minutes. Please report to your games.

A clumsy armored RALPH steps out of the Tapper's entrance.

RALPH (to himself): I can't feel my legs. What is all this stuff?

The helmet's visor is cluttered with stats and meters. The surge protector gives him a sideways glare.

RALPH (to himself): Smells like Ralph in here. Okay, what was it called? Hero-Hero something. Hero's -- Duty! Hero's Duty. Oh, there it is.

He sees soldiers in the same uniform going into the HERO'S DUTY outlet. He follows. He trips over Q*Bert.

Q*BERT: @#!

RALPH: Sorry, Q*bert. (LIFTS HIS VISOR) It's me, Ralph. Shh!

Ralph runs to the entrance of Hero's Duty, bangs into an archway...

RALPH: The wall.

...before continuing on.

Q*BERT: @!?#?

INT. LITWAK'S FAMILY FUN CENTER — MORNING

The sun is up over Litwak's. Litwak lights up the OPEN sign.

LITWAK: Morning, kids. Come on in. Good to see you. Good to see you. You, too, little fella.

INT. HERO'S DUTY - TRAM STATION

A high-speed shuttle sweeps up to a stop. The doors open. A smiling Ralph and a few other soldiers run out. MUSIC STARTS.

Ralph looks around in awe.

ANNOUNCER OVER PA: Quarter alert! Quarter alert! This is not a drill.

RALPH: Ooh! Sweet golden medal!

Ralph follows the other soldiers.

QUARTERS GO INTO A MACHINE.

A MOPPET GIRL picks up the gun in front of the Hero's Duty console.

NARRATOR: On a planet with no name, a top-secret experiment has gone horribly wrong. You are humanity's last hope.

INT. HERO'S DUTY, DARK HULL — DAY

It's chock full of soldiers. Ralph drops his gun and bumps into soldiers while trying to retrieve it.

RALPH: Rooting-tooting, ready for shooting! (CHUCKLES)

Just then, SERGEANT TAMORA JEAN CALHOUN steps up before her men.

CALHOUN: All right. Now listen up, because I'm only going to say this once. Fear is a four-letter word, ladies. If you want to go pee-pee in your big-boy slacks, keep it to yourself. It's make your mamas proud time!

RALPH: I love my mama!

OFFICER: Heads up! First-person shooter, coming through!

Soldiers make way for a rinky-dink robot with a flat-screen head that displays the count-down to game play. Stiff mechanical arms hold a gun. The wheels are wobbly to simulate walking. Meet the FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER ("FPS").