Chapter 5

He looks at the top of the formidable building.

RALPH: So that's where they keep the medal, huh?

INT. LITWAK'S ARCADE

The moppet that had been playing Hero's Duty now walks up to a cheerful racing game called SUGAR RUSH. The marquee advertises: "New Racers Daily" and "Build your own kart." Two BIG KIDS are playing it.

MOPPET GIRL: Hmm. "New racers daily." Sweet! I got next game.

The moppet goes to put a quarter on the console. The Big Kid slides her quarter off with a whole roll of quarters.

BIG KID ONE: Go away, kid! We're gonna play all nine of today's racers.

BIG KID TWO: Yeah!

MOPPET: Sorry.

The Moppet sighs, goes over to Fix-It Felix, Jr. instead.

INSIDE NICELAND: The intro music plays. Nicelanders take their positions. But Ralph does not, still being in Hero's Duty. A quote bubble pops up where he should be, reading: I'M GONNA WRECK IT!

BACK ON THE MOPPET: She looks confused.

MOPPET: Hmm. Where's the wrecking guy?

INSIDE NICELAND

MARY: Where's Ralph? He should be wrecking the building.

GENE: Shh! Stick with the program.

OUTSIDE OF CONSOLE

NICELANDERS: Fix it, Felix!

FELIX: I can fix it!

He GASPS in shock to see there's nothing to fix, but quickly recovers and smiles for the gamer, tossing his hammer slightly.

INSIDE NICELAND

FELIX: (through gritted teeth) Ralph! Quarter alert! Game on!

The moppet tries to play normally. Felix, unable to resist, follows with the girl's actions.

DEANNA: Do something, Felix!

FELIX: Just act natural. I'll fix it.

BACK ON THE MOPPET

She freaks as the joystick moves on its own. Felix takes control, climbing down the building and waddling off screen.

FELIX: Ralph! Ralph!

MOPPET: What the???

INSIDE NICELAND

FELIX: Ralph! RALPH!!!

Felix runs towards Ralph's garbage pile. Ralph's not there. Felix's reassuring face turns to concern.

FELIX: Oh, my land! Where is he?

BACK ON THE MOPPET: She's fed up.

MOPPET GIRL: Mr. Litwak!

LITWAK: What's the trouble, sweetheart?

MOPPET GIRL: The game's busted.

Mr. Litwak takes a look. He can see the Nicelanders panicking on screen while Felix tries to calm them down, and hears nonsensical computer chatter.

FELIX: I can fix it! I can fix it!

MR. LITWAK: Oh, boy. Looks like the game's gone cuckoo, like my nana. Sorry, sweetie. Here's your quarter back.

He gives her back a quarter.

MOPPET GIRL: But what about the game?

MR. LITWAK: I'll have someone look at it tomorrow, but if he can't fix it, it might be time to put old Ralph and Felix out to pasture. Like my nana.