Chapter 24

Sage, 2 weeks later.

"Why is he staring at you?" Lindsey asks me as we walked out of our group session. I glanced over my shoulder at Holden and his gray eyes travel down my body, a smirk on his lips. "God he's so fucking gross. I heard he got caught having an orgy with the ick twins last night."

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes as we headed into the rec. After group, it's always nice to decompress and turns out Linds likes to sit on the deck outside and draw or paint. Me, I just want a few quality minutes outside of my head and away from my inner demons. Snowfall over the last few days caused a change of plans and now we sit inside on armchairs and sip imported hot chocolate watching the snow cover the deck.

"So Nessa on the west hall said her parents totally bailed on coming to family day. Can you believe that?" Lindsey scoffed as she sat indian style with her sketch pad in hand, gazing at the cloudy sky through the ceiling high windows. I shrugged and bit my lip, anxiety clawing at my chest and that all too familiar need building inside. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and focused on the snow falling down outside, the warmth of the hot chocolate in my hands and the plush chair below me.

"Doesn't she hate them anyway?" I asked, my gaze flicking to the girl in question as she destroys Jessa Fosworth in ping pong. Turns out Nessa was once a tennis legend and would've been on the 2020 Olympic team had she not had a complete nervous breakdown and an unfortunate doping scandal. "I heard Daddy Caldwell was pretty pissed about her latest relapse and threatened to cut her off for good." Lindsey whispered and leans over to me, her eyes narrowed. "That family is just filled with scandals no wonder she felt so fucking pressured."

I, more than anyone, could understand what Nessa feels and I'm actually happy about Family Day. My last few sessions with Dr. Lo have been helping me vocalize my feelings and not allowing myself to manipulated by anyone. "Trust me, I get the pressure." I mumbled over my cup and stared contently out the window.

"I don't recall giving you permission to be in here, coke whore." A shrill voice sounds from behind us. My back stiffens so quickly I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a chiropractor visit soon. Linds turns in her chair and her eyes rake over Presley's slender body as it's clothed in my cropped Yale T-shirt and a pair of shorts I know she confiscated from Shelby, the cutter, down the hall.

"Nice legs, babe. I see those squats you've been doing over my face working wonders on those thighs and that ass." She makes a show of licking her lips and a blush creeps over Presley's pale skin. Beside her, Preston's eyes are glued to my exposed thighs in my shorts and I wish I'd thrown on leggings before going to group.

"Can we help you fuckers?" Lindsey growls as Holden circles around to stand in front of me, his gray eyes filled with a cruel hunger as he gazes at me. "We're having a party on our floor to celebrate Lewis getting released and you're on the invite list, sweet cheeks." Preston extends his hand out and I notice a key card in his hand. "How the fuck did you get a key card?" I asked, gaping at him. I'd heard rumors of people trading sex for privileges. Before I could tell them to fuck off, Lindsey snatches the key card out of Preston's hand. "Just how many dicks did your sister have to suck for this card, Pres?"

His green eyes darkened and he takes a threatening step towards her, but Linds remains relaxed with one leg slung over the arm of the chair and a shit eating grin on her face. From what I know of Preston, no one and I mean no one disrespects his twin and gets away with it. "You're lucky my sister still puts up with your skanky ass." Preston inclines his head toward his sister and she levels a glare not at her on again off again lover, but at me.

"Hey, coke whore, Holden tells us you get real loose when you're high. Do you fuck all of big brother's friends or just your quarterback boyfriend?" Presley cackles and I clutched the cup of now cooled hot chocolate in my hand and my eyes flicker to Holden, whose gray one's hold a challenge in them. "Come on Sage, everyone knows you cheat on Hunter like it's a trend on Tik Tok. Did I ever tell you the time she got so fucking wasted she was fucking three guys while poor Hunter was passed out in her bed." His eyes brightened as he laughed and something about his expression is eerily familiar. I can't shake the feeling that Holden knows what happened to me the night I overdosed, the night I was assaulted.