chapter 39

Kade

"Look at her, man, she's fucking glowing," Kyle murmurs, bumping his shoulder into mine. I startle, taking my eyes off the beauty in the red dress and thigh high boots. It took every ounce of willpower to will my dick to go down to the semi I've been packing for the last hour. We exchanged gifts because Kyle's whining was getting on everyone's nerves and I kept my eyes glued to Sage as she opened her family friendly gift from me. It's a Trojan horse of sorts, a clue for her to meet me tonight in the form of riding boots and a winter coat. I knew she missed riding Chestnut and it gave her an excuse to be out of the house.

"Thank you, Kade," she said before she circled her arms around me. If it wasn't for the audience around us, I'd kiss the fuck out of her and drill my cock into her right there. Calm the fuck down. Sex should be the last thing on my mind with Sage, but I'd laid my heart out in black and white ink for her to see and the way the slight blush crept up her skin told me she'd been thinking the same thing as me.

"She's happy," I concluded, sipping my spiked hot chocolate, thanks to Gramps with the Whiskey. "You bailing out tonight?" I knew Kyle got a lead on one of Holden's old conquests who had the misfortune of being stalked by him a few years ago after she'd pressed charges against him. The only reason she didn't go running from the hills is because of the lucrative business deal between their families. "Yeah, Nadia told me her attorney's giving her the greenlight if things go left." Kyle replied, shaking his head over the brim of his own cup.

"I'll speak to Artie in the morning, but we need to get our hands on Kane. The fact that he's MIA is suspicious as fuck. I mean if my ex that I claim I'm still in love with gets assaulted and ends up in a coma I'm sure as fuck not going to disappear and walk around campus like she never existed." I growl, rage boiling in my blood. There's too many loose ends, but the fact that Hunter fucking Kane gave Sage that coke from someone tied to that fucker Holden Townsend is pissing me the fuck off.

Kyle nods in agreement and for a split second his eyes drift away from his kid sister to her friend who's talking to Gramps with animated movements. "Tell me you didn't stick your dick in Vanessa, Kyle?" I ask with an arched eyebrow. Kyle doesn't really have a type, he just fucks whatever girl happens to hold his attention for more than five minutes. Judging by the look in his baby blue eyes and the way they take on a slight darker shade as well as the tightness in his jaw, I'd say he's seriously fucked if he did.

"Actually, I've been a bit busy trying to find Sage's attacker, fuck face," he punches my shoulder when I laugh at him. For a second I thought he'd be dipping his dick in Erin Adams... again, but if I know Kyle I know he wouldn't go back there unless Tanner was one hundred percent over that bitch. "Don't get me wrong the girl's hot as fuck, but with a bit of an ice queen vibe going on. I'd have to work for that pussy."

Against my better judgement my eyes drift and lock on to Sage's and the blush that creeps up her neck and cheeks with her widened eyes steals my breath away. "Oh, trust me I get it, but isn't that the best kind though? Play the long game and who knows, she might actually be the one to tame the beast in your pants."

"Everyone!" Kingsley roars over the Christmas music and chatter. "I'd like to say thanks to you guys for joining us in this holiday. Especially, Gram and Gramps for coming from Georgia for an extended stay. I'm also so incredibly happy that both of my children are here to celebrate Christmas with us even if our family dynamics are different, family is still family."

Christmas Day turned out kinda perfect. After diving in for an early dinner, me, Kyle and the girls were outside having a snowball fight with the baracades Kyle and I set up this morning. After getting nailed by her brother's killer arm, Sage bowed out in favor of hot chocolate and I was distracted by her, leaving Vanessa to hit me in the face. "You sure you don't play softball? Your arm is wicked strong!" Kyle fists pumps the air and I decide to leave him to his flirt-fest. Darting up the stairs, I grab my bag of essentials for a night alome with Sage and there was plenty of hot chocolate left, so I poured some into two thermos for us before heading out the door, careful to avoid running into Kyle or his parents and grandparents.