- Cranks -

I woke up to Newt gently saying my name. "We have to move now greenie, sorry!" He said sweetly, I rubbed my eyes and stood up and stretched. "It's okay" I said. Everyone wrapped their sheets around them again, I picked up my jacket and put my backpack on. "Let's up and at em!" Minho said walking out the door and his feet sank into the sand, we followed him.

We walked for a good hour, seemingly getting nowhere, we never seemed to get closer to the city. Every building we came to we searched for any supplies, we didn't have any weapons or anything to defend ourselves if we needed to. We found nothing.

As we inched towards the city we saw another building that was in better shape. We stopped in there fora break from the sun. "Is it me or are we not getting any nearer!" I said whining, it was the first time I had moaned...ever! But I was getting frustrated. "No you're right." Newt said wiping the sweat off of his face. He was am dusty and sweaty and had a few scratches on his face but he looked even more attractive than normal. I had to battle to keep my knees from turning to jelly. He smirked at me.

This building had multiple rooms in it, Minho had briefly searched them and by searched I mean stuck his head in and left again. "How do we even know we are going north!" Minho moaned. "The city is North" a voice said from behind us. I stood up and scanned the doorway to one of the other rooms. "Whose there?!" I said loudly. I tried to sound 'scary' but I didn't. A man who looked about 25 (give or take) walked in, his clothes were worn and his hair was dusty, but the most noticeable thing about him was his big gun he held in his hands. "Who are you?" I said "I'm Jorge. Who are you? What are you doing in the scorch?"

We stared at him for a while "um my name is Y/N, this is Minho, Newt, Thomas, frypan...." I continued introducing the boys. "We were kinda sent here I suppose" Jorge smiled and walked towards us. "Have you got the flare?" He said, "uh we don't know...have you?" Minho said rudely. "Yep. I'm what they call a crank. If your here the likelihood is you do have it!" He said, he sounded very morbid. "Crank?!" I said, then I thought back to the screaming zombie type people outside the windows, they called themselves cranks. "Hang on you look perfectly fine?!" I said "yeah that's because the flare takes it time. You don't go totally batcrap mad first, it takes a while so most of us cranks are 'normal'" that explained a lot. If we did have the flare then we wouldn't show symptoms yet. "Come with me, you seem nice kid! Shame about your friend!" He glared at Minho. "Yeah sorry about him. He has ego issues!" I said smiling, "how can we trust you?" Thomas said, "I'm one of the most sane ones here. You get on the wrong side of some of these cranks and they will kill you!" He said. We followed the man out of the room and walked along the sand.

He led us to another building which was three floors! We opened the door and there were about twenty people, some of them obviously more sane than the others. "Woah" Minho said walking in. Jorge stopped him "careful moron. They are all cranks!"

Minho gulped and stepped back.