chapter thirty eight

"My heart broke with the pain of being both with and without you."

Chapter 38

Aina looked at him with a look that had a hint of uneasiness. She had no idea what he meant. He was always able to wrap his thoughts in sentences that one had to first decipher in order to understand them.

Her heart was racing and his wasn't lagging behind, even though he outwardly pretended that her presence didn't give him goosebumps. He was plagued by a feeling of helplessness that he had experienced only a few times in his life. However, he didn't count on the fact that he wouldn't be able to recognize himself when looking at someone, specifically looking at Aina.

He didn't know how to recognize what he was feeling and how to control and regulate it all inside himself. That's why this time he decided to push it to the back of his mind and look away from her to the trees that stood around the paths of the illuminated park.

She didn't understand why he turned away from her so suddenly, when she could very well see and feel them being drawn to each other at the moment. Both from her side, but also from his side. This time it seemed to be really mutual. But he still chose the possibility of escaping from something he was not sure enough about.

There was silence between the two of them for a moment, until it was broken by the vibration of a phone that came from Aina's purse. That's why she reached for it and buried her palm in it. However, when she pulled out her phone and saw Kaito's name flashed on its display, she swallowed loudly, causing Chishiya to turn towards her.

He saw her reluctance to pick up the call, so he told her with a smirk, "You don't have to pick it up if you don't want to."

Her eyes met his again, but he turned his back in front of him, took a deep breath and stood up, placing his hands, as usual, in the pockets of his pants. The smile didn't leave his face even when he saw her eyes looking at the phone that kept ringing.

Chishiya noticed how Kaito's name was displayed on the phone and suddenly his expression changed. It was suddenly a few degrees colder, but Aina didn't have the chance to notice it as her eyes were busy staring at the phone display.

"Or just pick it up. It's up to you, I don't care." Chishiya shifted from his left foot to his right and focused his eyes intently on Aina's face, which straightened up towards him.

She could see how he was getting nervous and she knew why. Even though Chishiya tried to keep his feelings invisible, someone like Aina already had him mapped out in that regard.

She could easily irritate him and pick up the call. However, she decided against it and waited until Kaito ran out of energy and ended the call himself. It didn't take long and it happened. Aina finally threw the phone into her purse and was about to stand up.

But then she saw Chishiya stretching out his hand in front of her face. He wanted to help her up, despite the fact that his face turned away any positive feelings that could be hiding inside him.

With bated breath, however, she decided to accept his offer and touched his palm. An electrifying sensation ran through her body, leaving her with a searing emotion.

Chishiya gently pulled her upwards and then gently towards him. But they weren't close enough together for their tightness to turn into something deeper.

Despite this, both of them had an inkling of what was to come, but Aina was too ashamed after the unnamed night and after everything Chishiya had to go through during her drunkenness, and that's why she herself decided to refrain from physical contact.