chapter forty eight

"You can't heal if you pretend you're not hurt."

Chapter 48

*flashback continues*

Although Aina was devastated that she no longer had plans to take Chishiya to mercy, she tried to hide it behind a stony expression. She didn't want to admit that his loss hurt her more than the fact that he betrayed and deceived her.

"Congratulations." It came from the right side, where Usagi was standing next to Aina, holding a phone in her hand, the screen of which lit up with the words, "Game cleared. Congratulations."

There were still a lot of people standing around who fortunately survived the bloodthirsty massacre. Many of them were injured, bloodied, but all of them were even more traumatized by what they had to go through that night.

Aina's wound on her side began to hurt a little less, but she could feel her forehead and entire face sweating more and more, making her hands feel icy. She gulped loudly and inconspicuously slowly leaned against Usagi's shoulder. She immediately looked at Aina's face, which was still facing forward, towards the flames that were engulfing Momoka's body.

Usagi didn't hesitate and supported her with her left hand so she wouldn't fall.

"I guess this is the end of our paradise." Came out of the mouth of the tall dark-haired woman, whose right side of the face was pouring blood. It was Ann who was staring ahead with a sad look on her face.

"This place was never a paradise." Aina replied, who then giggled.

Arisu just nodded with a heavy breath, staring at the smoldering pile of fire just like everyone else.

"She is right. Everyone died." Tatta spoke up as he finally sobbed loudly and couldn't help the tears that he let freely fall down his face and then Aina's eyes widened as she saw his knees touch the ground.

Everyone was too tired and disgusted by what they had witnessed moments ago and no one had the strength to help him to his feet and support him.

"Those guys." Usagi said quietly while Aina looked in the direction Usagi's eyes were looking.

She was looking directly at the members of the Militants who were responsible for the deaths of many innocent people. Aina knew what Usagi was about to do.

She suspected that she would prefer to run after them and massacre them just like they did to other people. But Aina squeezed her forearm and whispered, "They're not worth it, Usagi."

"I can not forgive them." Usagi answered back, not even looking at Aina and resisting her hand's grip, causing Aina's legs to tangle slightly and finally just watch as Usagi ran towards them.

However, she noticed how Arisu reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her towards him.

"Let me go!"

"You can't." Arisu whispered, still holding Usagi's hand.

Aina felt her head spinning, but she still tried to stay awake.

"They killed all our comrades!" Usagi shouted angrily.

Her voice boomed in Aina's ears so much that she had to close her eyes. However, when she opened them again a moment later, she noticed how her whole world was spinning in front of them and everything seemed to slow down.

"I will not forgive them!" Aina heard Usagi's voice one more time and finally heard only a sob, but it was muffled.

She felt a sharp pain in her knees, which made her fall to the ground, but she managed to catch her hands on the ground so as not to hit her head. Her heart was beating so fast she thought it was going to jump out of her chest and her breath was stopping somewhere in the middle of her throat.