chapter fifty two

"I don't care how complicated this gets. I still want you."

Chapter 52

*flashback*

Chishiya once again pulled Aina away by her hand from the car they were hiding behind. He needed to get them both as far away from the grenade that was about to explode.

Aina gasped and hissed in pain as they both suddenly had to run across the road to the other parked cars. There, the two hid behind one of them, and just as their eyes met, a loud explosion sounded from where they came from.

As Chishiya's hand still rested on her wrist, he felt her whole body shake with fright as the loud explosion began.

He didn't know what it was. It was probably instinct when he decided to wrap his arms around her and pull her close to his chest.

Aina's world slowed before her eyes as she felt her cheek brush against his black t-shirt clad chest. With such close proximity, she could finally hear the loud and fast beating of his heart. She didn't hear it for a long time.

Even he was scared.

The palm of his right hand touched her hair, where he caressed her protectively and hugged her tighter.

She didn't realize how her hands were pressed to the spot under his chest, and she wasn't even aware of how she breathed in his scent with her eyes closed and crumpled the fabric of his t-shirt between her fingers. It all happened too fast for either of them to realize.

Aina was then snapped out of her daydreaming by gunshots echoing down the street. Therefore, she pulled away from Chishiya and took a deep breath. He watched as she tried to reach over his shoulder to see if the car and her friends had left.

"Are you crazy? Hide!" Chishiya pulled her back to him, holding both of her hands.

Her gaze rested on his face. She noticed how his parted lips trembled slightly.

Then they both heard the steps of heavy boots echoing through the area near them. Both of them knew then that the sniper was nearby and they also knew they had to stay silent in order to remain hidden.

Gunshots and sudden screams reached their ears then, causing Aina to close her eyes and purse her lips into a thin line. But all they heard was the squealing of car tires and then... nothing. Silence.

So Chishiya dared to stick his head out from behind the car to check the situation. No one was anywhere. At least no one alive.

There was no sign of the sniper, so he nodded his head towards Aina saying, "Come on. It's okay."

Aina, holding her breath, leaned her hand on the rear-view mirror of the car to help herself stand up.

Chishiya saw how the pain was hiding behind her closed eyes as she stood up, so he decided to lean towards her. He tried to support her on her hips with his hands, but she moved to the side.

"Fine. Suffice to say." Chishiya raised an eyebrow as he watched her struggle to stand up on her own.

She had to let him know that she can manage it without him and that she is not dependent on his help. Even if it wasn't true.

The wound on her side hurt a lot and she could feel sweat dripping down her face again.

When she finally stood up, she looked into his face without saying a word, her breath quickened. She took a deep breath and quickly turned away, determined to leave alone. Without him.