14.

Numb. That was the only word to describe Saehild's pain. For many years her family was allowed to live in pace, happily together, but now, she felt so utterly alone with her thoughts. Once Saehild could see there was no one, she let out a shake breath and a few tears she had been holding back. A day ago, Brida sent her first message to Uhtred, yet she was nowhere to be found. Then it was reviled that she had taken Eoferwic endangering many. And it was only a few hours ago Saehild was told to not travel and fight, like she was raised to do, but rather that her role in the guard was moved to a very respected position, that many of the men would be opposed to. But worst of all, she was told that her mother was ill. And now she had to hear that, she would not last till the spring leaving little time left to spend with her.

Eadith immediately tried to comfort the girl placing a hand to her shoulder,  "I'm sorry Saehild."

The girl sniffled lifting her head fully,  "I never knew my birth mother, and now... I lose the only mother I've ever had. It isn't fair."

The healer sighed heavily, still trying to offer as much comfort as she could, "I could use some help, taking care of the lady. She as told me of how your healing skills have sprouted."

"I would like that, yes." Saehild inhaled.

They both tried to smile and gather themselves to ready for the departure. In order to leave as soon as possible, the two started to gather the belongings brought from home. With luck they should be able to leave within the next day or two. The journey back would be even longer then coming, the clouds where growing darker and little sunlight was being left during the day. Saehild was greatful that Eadith would be on the road with them, her and Aelfwynn had always admired her courage. Hopefully she would offer some comfort to the both of them

**************

Unfortunately, much was brought for the trip. It was thought that the royal family of Mercia would be staying longer, giving much for Saehild and Eadith to sort through. Out of nowhere a door slam alerted them both. Saehild dropped what she was holding, going for the door to figure out if something was wrong. The main hall was empty, only with Aethelflaed left, but Saehild thought it a good idea to leave her alone. Exiting through one of the side doors, Saehild found her father scolding a boy like he had murderer a cat. Hiding behind one of the pillars she could hear how much anger Aldhelm's voice held. Squinting her eyes she realized it was Cynlaef, who he was yelling at. After Aldhelm pushed Cynlaef away, she cautiously tip toe to him.

"Father?" she said weary.

"Dearest!" he rushed over to her, "You should not be out here in the cold--"

"What did the boy do?" she cut him off, watching him walk away.

Aldhelm turned his head to see what she was looking at. He sighed in disappointment, he never wanted Saehild to see him like that, "Him and Aelfwynn were caught together in her room, alone."

"Oh," Saehild raised her eyebrows, she wanted to laugh so badly.

She had told Aelfwynn to be careful playing around with boys while in Rumcofa. The Dane swore she would not help her hide whatever she was trying to do. It all started to come together, Aelfwynn was probably mad that she had gotten caught, and slammed the door, causing the fright. She always thought that she was invisible. And as a father, Aldhelm was going to make sure that Danish boy felt his wrath.

"The act, interrupted Lady Aethelflaed." Aldhelm sighed, "The boy will be sent upriver, to fight raiders."

"She still dose not know?" Saehild realized.

"No." Aldhelm sighed, "It is best to keep it that way."

Saehild nodded tucking in her lips. How was she to keep a secret like this from her sister? Their mother was dying, with little time left. Saehild knew, in her heart, that if Aelfwynn was informed she would not act with such nonsense. For years they were locked inside the walls of Aegelesbrug, all she wanted was to have a little bit of fun, and for once not be Princess Aelfwynn of Mercia.