Part 24.

(tw: d/v)

Present
Two Hours Later

"Hi Giselle, this is Dr

"Hi Giselle, this is Dr. Jackie— please give me a call back when you can, it is pretty urgent that I speak with you regarding your lab results as soon as possible; thanks."

With only the sounds of Snoh Aalegra bumping through the Porsche speakers, Beyoncé continued to remain in deep thought as she cruised down the highway towards home. Finding herself in state of extreme worry, she fiddled with her phone as the voicemail message replayed over and over in her mind. Since she still could not believe her newfound reality, contemplating on what move to make next presented itself to be a tough decision.

Ugh, she sounded before traveling her clammy hand down towards her stomach, hopeful that the gentle rubbing would ease this never-ending nausea.

Just call back, Giselle .. her subconscious encouraged as she bought the car to a smooth stop thanks to upcoming traffic. Pursing her lips to the side, she quickly remembered that it was her turn to get dinner, and once she spotted the highway signage that Chick-fil-A was approaching, she switched lanes and got off at the next exit. Thereafter, Beyoncé pulled into the drive-thru line with ease and decided to place the car on auto-hold so that she could rest until it was her turn to move forward. Heading back to the voicemail tab on her phone, she redialed the office number and unconsciously held her breath until the call connected after the first ring.

... It's now or never ...

"Dr. Walters office?" A receptionist greeted with a chipper mood.

"H—Hi, I'm just calling back to get in touch with Dr. Jackie about some blood work?" Beyoncé stumbled over her words.

"Am I speaking to Giselle?"

"Mmhmm.."

"Great! I'll transfer you right to her direct line."

Tuning out the irrelevant hold music, Beyoncé tried her best to deescalate the heavy feeling within her chest, and once she felt as though she could no longer breathe, quicken breaths came next to signal that she was beginning to hyperventilate.

"Giselle, I can hear your heart racing through the phone," Dr. Jackie started with a soft voice. "Are you driving?"

"Not currently, I just pulled over." Beyoncé responded truthfully.

"Good, because we have a lot to discuss." Dr. Jackie replied in a focused tone.

"Is there something wrong with the baby?"

"Well—" Jackie started before coming to a slight pause. "It's a complex situation to say the least. Although you and I heard the baby's heartbeat and I did note some fetal activity, your hCG levels are not exactly where they should be for someone who is ten weeks pregnant; if anything, they're trending downward."