Chapter 1, the kitten and the storm

Felix groaned as he opened his eyes in the late afternoon. Rain pattered against the windows mercilessly, and thunder could be heard in the distance.

However, Felix soon realized that it wasn't the thunder that had woken him up. A gentle "tap tap" sounded against his window again, and he was sure it wasn't the rain.

Felix stood up from his bed, grumbling, and stretched his arms and back. Wondering who on earth would knock on his door in this weather, he straightened his shorts and walked down the stairs into the living room, not bothering to put on a shirt.

A gentle "tap" sounded again, and Felix finally looked out the glass door to see who was knocking. Seeing only a raging storm outside, and not a human in sight, Felix sighed, thinking that it was probably a twig banging against his window somewhere else.

As he was about to leave, when another knock sounded, this time followed by a tiny squeal. Felix looked around, and, through the glass, saw a tiny kitten, its gray fur matted and soaked through by the rain, its eyes wide and scared, tapping its miniature paw against the sliding glass door.

Immediately feeling a pang of worry for the poor small creature, Felix carefully opened the door and bent down, gently scooping the kitten up into his arms.

Careful, as not to hurt or frighten the cat any more, Felix cradled it in his bare arms and pulled it to his chest, closing the door behind him.

The kitten hissed weakly, but seemed otherwise unable to restrain Felix in any way, and then put its small head limply on Felix's arms, as though only finally admitting just how tired and cold it was.

"What are you doing out in the cold and rain, hmm, little one?" Felix whispered, looking down at the tiny being in his arms. "Come on, let me get you dried and fed, okay?"

Walking through the house to the bathroom, Felix wondered why the cat was in such bad condition. Where was its home? Parents? What was it doing outside in the rain? How did it find him?

The kitten, of course, answered none of those unspoken questions.

Carrying it to the restroom, Felix attentively nudged its head to signal they had arrived. Lightly lifting it up by the shoulder-blades, he placed the kitten on a white towel. Looking around cautiously, the tom cat let out a frightened mewl followed by another weak hiss as it spotted Felix.

Seeing this, Felix smiled at the kitten in a reassuring manner, even though knowing perfectly well that it couldn't understand his expressions.

"Don't worry, okay? I'm just going to get you dry. I'll be carefull, I promise." He said, bending down to the sink the towel was on. Lifting up another one, he tenderly rubbed the fabric through the cat's knotted fur, massaging it, and trying to get the water out. It hissed again, but otherwise remained motionless.

Felix would have used a hairdryer, but he knew that it would probably frighten the kitty even more. So, he just dried the cat by hand, slightly turning it over at times. However, when he kindly flipped it onto its back, Felix gasped.

A crimson red patch of fur stretched along the kitten's gray belly, covering a large cut.

"Oh my..." Felix whispered, removing his hands from the cat. "What happened to you, little one?" The cat whined in response and turned back around, struggling to get onto its tiny paws. As though in defense, it slightly arched its back and unsheathed its claws.

"Can I help you? I promise I only want to help." Felix said soothingly, raising his hands in the air. "I won't hurt you, kitty-cat."

Of course, Felix knew the kitten couldn't understand him, but he hoped that it would understand and take his tone as a sign of worry and care. Eventually, it lowered its back down and sheathed it claws again. It was true though. He was extremely worried and anxious about what happened to the kitten, and why it seemed so small and skinny even though it seemed at least six months old, as well as, most importantly, why it had such a large wound.