Chapter 21, impatience and threat

Hyunjin drummed his fingers impatiently on the table, his gaze flickering between the clock on the wall and the entrance. The minutes dragged on like hours, each passing second amplifying his anticipation.

The house was silent around him, the dozen shelves littered with books and works of art, but Hyunjin felt disconnected from it all, his attention solely focused on the door. His foot tapped incessantly against the floor, a physical manifestation of his pent-up energy. He couldn't sit still, his mind racing.

He had to find Felix.

Probing the latter for information was an act of deep selfishness, adding onto the anguish that he had disappointed or upset the older boy. Hyunjin felt the burning desire to act , or at least comfort the other male. And regardless of how much he wanted to find out more, he was aware that only time and space could make Felix truly open up to him. 

Finally, as the minute hand on the clock reached it's point at the bottom, signaling that he has been waiting for over twenty minutes, Hyunjin practically jumped up, deciding that the couldn't wait any longer.

Discerning that he might as well be spending his time searching, the Korean rushed out of the house.

Hyunjin wasn't entirely aware of where he should try to look for Felix, so he concluded that the best starting locations were the ones where him and Felix already were previously. There were only two of those places, if you didn't count the house and hospital.

He set off at a jog to the café first,  slipping his phone out of his pocket and palming it as he headed toward the building. It was a ten minute's run at best, but Hyunjin hoped he could get there a bit faster.

Honestly speaking, there was no rational reason he was hurrying this much, but now that he had a chance to fix his mistake, he wanted to take it. Hyunjin was only partially sorry for his inquiries, because he found himself feeling the need to know more, even if that meant he was selfish and rude.

At last, he reached the familiar pink and brown walls of the restaurant, huffing slightly. As Hyunjin opened the door, the bells above him jingled happily, and he was reminded of the time when Felix had held the door open for him. It was only a day ago, but it felt like an eternity.

As Hyunjin stepped in, he was greeted by a female waitress, dressed in pink and brown to match the style of the place. He greeted her even before she had a chance to open her mouth, blurting out the first thing that came to mind.

"Excuse me, do you know where Mr. Bang Chan is?"

The waitress glanced at him in confusion, and for a few seconds he thought that perhaps she had no idea who he was talking about, but she nodded after a while.

"Yes sir. He's just in the back." After another moment, and after looking down at her watch, she added, "His break ends in about five minutes though. You should probably hurry up if it's something important."

Hyunjin thanked her with a nod, and walked through the back door to wear supposedly Chan was, after instructions given by the waitress.

As Hyunjin walked in, some individuals there threw him confused looks, but he ignored them as he spotted Chan.

Honestly, he didn't know what he was going to ask the older male, or why on earth he even went to meet the Australian, but he sensed that it was the right thing to do.

Chan stood leaning on the wall, a drink in one hand and a phone in the other. He was typing away rather energetically, a small smile on his lips. As he heard Hyunjin approach though, he lifted his head, and his smile immediately vanished, seeing the look on the other's face.

"Hyunjin?" He asked, evidently taken aback. "What's up? You're not allowed-"

"-Do you know where Felix is?!" Hyunjin interrupted, his tone sharper than expected.

Really, it was illogical how worried he was. He didn't do anything worth being so nervous about, but there was an urge bubbling inside of Hyunjin that he couldn't prevent.

Chan's eyes widened, and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"No, Why? What happened?"

"I did something stupid. But now is not the time for that! Do you know where he is, or can be, if he's not home?"

Chan opened his mouth as if to retort something back, but closed it, deciding against whatever he was going to say. Then, a few seconds later, he nodded his head.

"Have you tried Ichon? He likes spending time there."

"The park you mean? No, I haven't. Thanks." Hyunjin responded right away, turning back to leave. However, as he did, he felt a hand on his arm.

Unexpectedly, Chan swung him around and pressed Hyunjin's back against the wall. Then he leaned closer, and for a fleeting second Hyunjin's gay panic took over, but Chan just stared at him. This was the first time Hyunjin had seen Chan anything but cheerful, and it scared him.

"Listen here." Chan hissed quietly, so that the other's couldn't hear. "I don't know what your game is with him, but you better back off. If you hurt him again, I swear it won't end good for you." He glared at him, causing tiny shivers to run down Hyunjin's spine. "And I'm coming with you now, to make you don't "Do anything stupid" again. Understood?"

It was phrased like a question, and the second Chan finished his sentence he leaned away and his normal expression came back, but it still felt like a threat.

"Great." Hyunjin huffed in thought. "Another person who hates me."