Chapter 15, reactions

Hyunjin immediately changed back, glancing nervously at the blondie.

"I-..." Felix stuttered, apparently having no words good enough to describe how much he was feeling.

"It's okay. Don't panic too much, it's not good for your health." Hyunjin mumbled, looking away. "When you calm down, can I explain one last thing, and then I promise I'll go..." He continued carefully.

Hyunjin bit his lip as he waited for a reaction that was at least a tiny bit better than "Oh fuck!"

Well, Hyunjin himself was feeling really anxious, but at least Felix wasn't angry. On the contrary, the Aussie seemed more confused than before, and, if Hyunjin had read his eyes correctly, a bit fascinated.

He couldn't understand where the fascination was coming from though, because this was more a curse than anything. Sure, it kept him alive, but even so...

Felix had finally came to his senses, (well, mostly) and at last glanced uneasily at Hyunjin.

"How?" He questioned breathily.

"My mother's powers passed down to me. I wasn't allowed to use them, since my father hated everything to do with "unnatural stuff", and so I only learned to do it by accident, and I didn't dare try experimenting. To be 100% truthful, my first hour as a cat was spent with you..." Hyunjin explained, making his voice as gentle as possible to sound kind, and assuring that Felix would still have the little trust for Hyunjin he had left.
"But..." Felix gulped slightly and tried again. "But why did you... do it? I- I was convinced that..."
He never finished his sentence, and Hyunjin took that as a cue to answer.

"That night, just as I saw my mother change, my father figured things were getting out of hand and... Well, he pulled out a gun and shot her, right in front of my eyes." Hyunjin paused, feeling a lot of things at the moment.

"That's the reason you hate thunderstorms, no?" Felix asked delicately.

"Huh?" The younger replied, looking back at the latter. "How'd you guess?"

"Nevermind that, but I'm really sorry you had to experience this. Is there anything I can do...?"

Once more, Hyunjin was baffled at how kind the Australian was. He literally stayed in his home for over a month without him knowing, and he offers help?

"No, no, it's alright. She never was a good woman anyway. But that's not the reason I came here..."

"I imagine your dad gave you a hard time afterward, knowing you could also... umm...do this."

"Yea.." Hyunjin chuckled sadly. "And one day he just.... had enough, I guess. He lunged at me and tried to...end my life... And so I changed shape and ran out the house, and just happened to stumble onto you. I didn't have anywhere else to go." The younger sighed. Ruffling his own hair in frustration. "I was really lucky, to get out of there alive. However, I was even more lucky to find you, Felix. I couldn't have met a better person." His eyes sparkled.

Felix's face was unreadable, but if Hyunjin would've looked, he would've seen how the latter's ears reddened slightly.

"Thank you, I guess." He murmured.

"No! Thank you!"

There was silence after that. Neither spoke, unsure of how to progress the conversation, or if they even should.

"I'll go then." Hyunjin finally uttered. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Felix." He began standing up, but was interrupted.

"What?! Where are you going?" Felix sprang up quite suddenly.

"Umm... That's an amazing question, but I'm afraid I can't give you an answer for that. I don't know."

"But... You can't just..leave? I mean, you said it yourself, you don't have anywhere to go, and you obviously can't return to your father." He continued hurriedly, and made Hyunjin crack a smile.

"Well, since you don't want me: neither as a cat, nor as a human, my father is a murder, and I don't have friends, yea, I have no idea where to go now. And mind you, I'm not making myself look pathetic in front of you, I'm just making myself face reality for once. But thank you for everything, and I wish you all the best." Hyunjin made his way to the door with a heavy heart, but just as he was about to open it, he heard Felix call out to him.

"But I still owe you!"

The younger turned around, feeling extremely relieved deep inside.

"What?! You don't owe me anything. On the contrary, it's me who owes you for letting me stay, even if you thought I was a cat."

"Yes I do! Hyunjin.." Felix paused, really not used to calling a person by the name, not a kitty. "If you wouldn't have stopped Jk and Tae that day, they could've killed me, killed me. And furthermore, you also paid for my medications, and provided me company. I think that's enough reasons for me being the one who has to pay you back. The least I can do is..." Felix hesitated. "Hyunjin, would you like to - maybe... stay here with me, but in the long term now?"

"I- What?" The Korean boy asked, baffled.

He was expecting something, but definitely not this. Truth be told, he absolutely loved the idea, and especially that Felix was the one to propose it, not him.

"Is that a yes or a naur?" The older questioned.

Hyunjin gave the latter a giant smile and nodded hurriedly. But then, something struck him.

Felix wanted his Hyunjin back, not him. Just the cat, not the person. His smile faltered, but even so, he kept it. It was better than nothing.

No, it was better than anything. Why on earth would Felix like the real him?

"That's a yes! A big big yes! Thank you!"

Felix also made a smile back, albeit a small one.

Hyunjin waited for a few moments before turning back into a kitten, just to watch as Felix's eyes widened once more.

The blond shook his head from side to side, and blinked rapidly a few times.

"Sorry, I'm just really not used to this. I don't understand how this is possible.."

Hyunjin meowed his answer.

"Why did you change? What's the point now that I know the truth?"

Looking puzzled, the kitten transformed again.

Hyunjin couldn't believe Felix said that.

"My bad, I just thought it might be easier for you to take me in this way."

"What? No? But I would love to get to know you a bit more. First though...are you hungry?"

"Huh? Yea, a bit, but I don't want to cause you any trouble. I'll be fine."

"Don't worry about it." Felix grinned unexpectedly. "I've got to pay you back anyways."

Hyunjin narrowed his eyes.

"Oh come on, let's go, there's a great restaurant about three blocks away."