Chapter Nine

Kel woke first when the sun shone through his curtains, wondering why it was so bright since Sunny never opened his curtains, until he remembered what had happened the day before... Kel rolled over, feeling helpless. He felt sick with worry, wanting to just weep into his pillow, but refused to let himself. He then tossed into his back and stared blankly at the ceiling. Why did yesterday have to happen? Why wasn't I with him? I'm meant to protect him! Kel thought, sighing.

Getting up, Kel tossed on some clothes, another tank top, but with little different colored checks on, with purple-grey shorts.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Hero called him down for breakfast, and for once Kel walked at a normal pace down the stairs and ate his food slowly, contemplating how today could go. Sunny, please open the door... Kel thought, God, I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't...

"Kel?" Came a distant voice, "Kel!"

"AH!-" Kel exclaimed, jumping, looking up.

"You were staring at your fork.." Hero stated, looking at Kel with a piercing and worried look, like he was trying to search Kel's eyes for the answer even when he already knew.

"Ah, right..." Kel said, looking back at his breakfast.

"Are you alright, Kelsey?" Kel's mom asked, leaning over her plate a little.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Kel said, standing up so suddenly his chair fell to the floor, "I'm heading off."

And before anyone could say anything, Kel had dumped his empty plate in the sink and ran out the house.

Kel jogged to Sunny's, noticing that even from a distance, the lights were off and the curtains closed. Not much saying there, Sunny likes the dark. Kel approached the front door, knocking politely. When he didn't hear anything from the other side, he knocked again and louder. Kel waited there for ten minutes, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet, looking around. In the end, Kel was getting impatient so he was debating to just look through the windows, or somehow manage get into their back garden and basically break in through the back door. Not break in, he reminded himself, just checking up on a friend...

Just when Kel was about to move to one of the windows, he heard the stairs creaking. His hopes leaped, knowing that Sunny was going down them. That Sunny was okay! Kel stood there eagerly at the door as he waited quietly for Sunny to open the door. He heard the keys first, then the door creaking open slightly, watching as Sunny pulled the door towards him, peering up at Kel with dark, sad eyes.

Kel shoved open the door, embracing Sunny, resting his cheek on the tip of Sunny's head as the smaller boy basically stood there frozen. They stayed like that for a few minutes before Kel finally let go.

"Sunny, I'm so glad you're okay!" Kel exclaimed, holding Sunny's hands in his, smiling at him brightly.

Sunny nodded slowly, looking at Kel's outfit and smiled slightly. Gently pulling on Kel's arm to lead him inside. Kel followed obligingly, the two making sure the door was locked, Sunny leading Kel to the sofa, the two still holding hands. Sunny pointed to the seat, so Kel sank into the seat and watched Sunny's retreating back as he disappeared into the dark kitchen. Kel wondering what Sunny was doing, letting his thoughts wander  as he stared at the shadowed doorway where Sunny went. I wonder what he's doing in there... getting food? He doesn't really eat, though... food for me? Maybe, he's a really nice and considerate person to others. As Kel let his thoughts wander, Sunny shuffled into the kitchen, getting a bag off the counter and brought it back into the living room, walking around and standing before Kel. Kel looked up at Sunny, confused, before he watched as Sunny thrust the white bag he had bought a few days ago in his face, looking at it confused and slightly worried. Kel looked up at Sunny, making sure he was meant to take it, looking at Sunny's face going pink as he turned his head away. Kel took the bag and reached inside, take out two identical boxes. Sunny took one of the boxes, nodding at Kel to open his. Upon opening it, Kel froze, staring at it for some time, taking in its beauty.

It was a silver bracelet, no beads, just a cool silver wiring, and on it, two key chains. One of them had a basketball, with the letter K engraved on its surface, the other a black cat with the letter S engraved on it. Kel took it carefully from the box and held it in the palm of his hand for some time.

"If you don't like it..." Sunny began, muttering something about being able to take it back.

"It's perfect."

Sunny smiled gently, perching on the seat beside Kel as he watched the taller boy observe the bracelet at different angles.

"Why did you get it?" Kel asked after a few minutes of silence, Kel smiling happily at Sunny, the bracelet on his wrist.

"It was a thank you," Sunny said, wearing a matching bracelet on his right arm, whereas Kel's was on his left, "for you putting up with me for so long.."

"Sunny, I don't put up with you," Kel said, wrapping one of his arms around Sunny and giving him an awkward side-hug, "You're perfect, it's no chore to be with you, in fact, it's a blessing - you still hang out with me even though I have an obsession with the color orange and Orange Joe."

Sunny chuckled, shaking his head.

"I'm just glad you like it," Sunny said, his eyes looking heavy. Kel was confused. Didn't Sunny sleep last night?

"Like it? Of course I like it- I love it!" Kel said passionately, "It's amazing!"

"I love y-!" Kel caught himself before he said it, he wanted his confession to be special, not something not thought out and half-hearted, "I love y....our quality at buying gifts! I wish I knew what everyone loved, otherwise I would get you a gift, too!"

Sunny shook his head slowly, smiling at Kel. The two seemed to feel stuck there for hours, both just admiring each other. Kel then cleared his throat and looked away, feeling his face getting redder.

"How about we just spend today making an even better blanket fort?" Kel suggested, much to Sunny's happiness.

The two went up the stairs and spent the entire day making the blanket fort, Kel throwing things on haphazardly as Sunny took some things off and made it sturdier and more comfortable. Finally, after a long day of working, the two changed into their pyjamas, laying down on the pillows that covered the floor beneath the fort, and fell asleep, Sunny cradled in Kel's arms.

(Author's note: Hello, everyone! I'm glad you're liking the story so far, and I just have to apologise for slow updates, but at least they're consistent! Also, sorry if this chapter seems slow paced and kind of boring, I have a hunch that the next few might be a bit more entertaining... no spoilers here, though! P.S. I love reading your comments and seeing how you all are invested in the story! I hope you're all having a good day/night, you all deserve it!)