Chapter Thirty-Five

"Alright, bet I can win!" Aubrey cheered, having now changed into a bikini.

"Should I also judge or do i join?" Kim asked, having been apologised to and invited along in their trip back to the lake after collecting their swimsuits.

"You can do whatever you want, but prepare to watch your girlfriend fail!" Kel jeered, tying the strings on his swimtrunks into a bow.

"Yeah, right!" Aubrey yelled, quickly kissing Kim on the cheek before heading her way over to the lake.

Kim stared furiously at the ground, before looking around awkwardly and sitting down on the wooden dock with Sunny and Basil.

When they'd made it back to their houses earlier when they were grabbing their swimsuits, the group collectively decided that they were all going to just pull them on underneath their clothes, grabbing a backpack to stuff the towels in for afterwards.

Now, Sunny sat in his black swimtrunks with his shirt and jumper still on, dangling his feet in the water, watching Kel nervously as he and Aubrey splashed their way over to the statue. Basil and Kim were also perched on the wooden dock beside him, Basil sat on his knees and Kim with one foot in the water and the other on the dock, knee beneath her chin.

"So what's this about?" Kim asked, flicking her hair out of her eyes as she watched Aubrey climb skillfully to the top of the statue.

"Just another competition of theirs," Basil replied, adjusting the flower crown on his head, "Oh, that reminds me!"

He dashed off to the picnic blanket, opening his camera bag, then grabbing his camera, before quickly making his way over to the others, keeping his camera well away from the water.

Sunny watched as Aubrey flicked her hair smugly at the top of the statue, before getting to the edge and leaping off, doing a somersault into the water below. The impact she made rippled the water, making it splash up Sunny's leg, small droplets littering his knees. Kel called out to Sunny.

"Hey, watch me!" Kel called, waving his arms around, "ready?"

Sunny smiled slightly, watching as the eager boy did a playful stretch before turning around and backflipping twice off the statue, however, Sunny could see part of Kel's leg wasn't tucked properly, wincing as Kel's foot clipped the island. Sunny got up immediately, sprinting over to the edge of the water, watching Kel splash about wildly for a bit before he found his flow. He shook his head, his wet hair also flinging water droplets everywhere, before grinning at his boyfriend.

"Did you see me? Was it good?" Kel asked, clearly eager to impress him.

"Kel, it was great, but I really need you to get over here so I can check out your foot," Sunny said anxiously, speaking quickly as he tapped his fingers agitatedly on the grass.

"Oh! Yeah, okay," Kel muttered, wincing as he swam over to Sunny.

"What happened?" Aubrey called over from Kim and Basil, Kim wrapping Aubrey in a towel.

Not getting a response, the group walked over, Sunny making Kel sit upright against a tree as he examined his foot.

"I clipped my stupid foot on the island when I jumped," Kel muttered angrily, annoyed with himself.

"Of course you did," Aubrey sighed, sitting down with them, Basil and Aubrey following suit.

Then, a camera shutter clicked, and the others turned towards Basil, who smiled guiltily, "what better way to start off a new photo album than a daily life with the group?"

Kel groaned, letting his head hit limply against the tree behind him. Sunny shook his head, sighing.

"You've got a swollen ankle and a few small cuts around it and on your foot," Sunny stated, looking up at Kel, the nervousness obvious in his eyes.

"I'll be fiiiiine, Sunshine! It's just a bruise, and I just need to wipe a few cuts clean," Kel assured him, reaching out, grabbing ahold of him, and dragging him into a hug.

"Sunshine?" Aubrey asked, looking at the two suspiciously.

"Yes, Sunshine," Kel sniffed defensively, "can't I nickname a friend?"

"Boyfriend," Sunny corrected, resting his head gently on Kel's shoulder.

"Wait what-" Aubrey paused, blinking for a moment, looking from a bewildered Kel to a completely relaxed Sunny, "I didn't think you'd actually admit it!"

"$10 for me, Aubrey," Basil smiled.

"You guys were betting on us!?"

"We all obviously knew something was going on between you, I mean," Kim looked from Kel, to Sunny, then back to Kel, as if to prove her point, "look at you."

"Not to mention all of the awfully disguised 'Sunshines' you say everytime you refer to him," Aubrey rolled her eyes, but was smiling.

"We were just betting on whether one of you would admit it, $5 if Kel admitted, $10 if Sunny did," Basil added, nodding, "I said Sunny would."

"You're welcome for the $10 Basil," Sunny muttered, getting to his feet, "now let's go find you a first-aid kit - never a day without injury for us."

The group wandered back over to the picnic blanket where they had all left their stuff.

"You two should get changed, it's getting pretty late," Kim suggested, looking up into the sky.

Sunny, who was part way of going through the backpack in search for the first-aid kit he'd shoved in their earlier, looked up at the sky.

It was a beautiful array of deep purples, the clouds different shades of pink as the minimal amount of them drifted across the sky. A small shaft of sunlight slid through the trees, illuminating the picnic basket that currently say beside Sunny.

"Almost like she's sitting with us, huh?" Aubrey mumbled, looking at the warm light shining onto the wicker basket.

Sunny inwardly agreed as he pulled out the first-aid kit, bringing it over to Kel who was sat in a corner of the blanket, his injured leg straight out.

"You still haven't got a towel on?" Sunny asked, wrapping Kel's ankle up tenderly, dabbing at the small incisions around it.

"I'm fine, S-Sunshine," Kel said, though he was visibly starting to shiver.

Sunny sighed, getting a towel and handing it to him, waiting patiently as he dried himself off and pulled on his t-shirt.

"I have to wait for my brother at the park, so I'll catch you guys later," Kim said, kissing Aubrey gently, before waving goodbye to the rest of them.

"I can so tease her about this," Kel whispered to Sunny, grinning, as the two watched Aubrey's face go furiously red.

•♡*♡•

"So, we'll see you guys later?" Kel asked, reaching their road.

"Yeah, we'll see you tomorrow," Aubrey agreed, waving goodbye to the others as she and Basil walked back to his.

"Alright!" Kel cheered, almost losing his balance.

"C'mon," Sunny sighed, smiling lovingly at this hyperactive boy, "Let's go have a rest for a bit - I think I've had too much social interaction for one day."