Chapter Sixteen

When Kel stirred, it was pitch black outside. The curtains were open slightly for once and the window was cracked, a gentle breeze cooling the room. He grumbled, rolling over to try to find Sunny's warm body once more, but he couldn't. He slapped his hand around on the mattress for a while, until finally giving in and opening his eyes. The room wad bathed in a silvery light from the moon, and after his eyes adjusted, he could see everything clearly - and the clear fact that Sunny wasn't next to him.

"Sunshine?" Kel whispered into the dark, getting to his feet and stumbling about the room for a few minutes, quite disorientated.

He somehow managed to find his way out of the room and downstairs, where he continued the search for Sunny.

Wonder if he's okay, Kel thought sleepily as he walked into a doorframe as he tried to go into the kitchen, 'Cause if someone's done something then I might have some jail time to serve.

The more he paced about the house, the more he woke up, feeling panic rising as he dashed about the house in search of Sunny. Just as he was dashing past the back door, he saw Sunny's silhouette standing out there in his pj's, just a plain top and shorts. Kel cracked the door open slightly and slid out, listening to his footsteps across the grass and wincing each time as it made little noise which seemed to be amplified ten fold.

"Hey, Sunshine," Kel whispered, his voice soothing, approaching Sunny from behind, but settled on standing beside him, "What're you doing out here?"

Sunny stared blankly at the tree. He could still imagine Mari's lifeless body swaying from it. The guilt and hallucinations.

"Just wondering how she is..." Sunny trailed off, not wanting to say what he actually was going to which was 'Just wondering what she'd be doing if I didn't kill her'.

"I bet she's looking at you and feeling proud," Kel said, trying to lift the depressing mood, "I am too, y'know, Sunshine?"

"Proud?" Sunny echoed. He didn't feel like someone you should be proud of. He felt like he was dirty. Diseased.

"You overcome what happened to you, you're going outside," Kel smiled, looking at Sunny and feeling overwhelming love for him, "You're trying to eat more, you're trying to fix things between everyone and I think you've done really well."

Sunny paused, looking over at Kel in turn. Proud? No one had said that to him in years. The only person who had said that to him was Mari. His dad just yelled at him, calling him a mistake and blaming Mari's death on him. He was right, of course. He was right about most things. His mom, on the other hand, just cried after Mari's death, defending Sunny slightly before crying more. Now she just drowns herself in her work, blocking out anything from her personal life. Sunny could barely remember what she looks like now since she'd been away so long.

"Sunny..." Kel felt nervous, not knowing what was going on in Sunny's head, unsure whether to proceed with what he had just made up or to just take him back to bed.

"Thanks for staying with me, Kel," Sunny said, the boys turning to fully look at each other, "You're a great person."

Is this a friend-zone? He never said 'friend'- IS THIS PERSON-ZONED? Kel thought as he watched Sunny get closer to him.

"I know most of your personality is put on for others," Sunny muttered, "Kel, the never sad, always there if you needed to talk to him. We both know you're hating me just as much as everyone else, including me. You're mad about Mari's death, you cared for her just as much as anyone else."

Kel suddenly felt like crying then. Sunny had got everything to a T. He remembered the argument with Hero, how he was just shoved to the side as his parents fawned over Hero again. Kel stepped to Sunny, feeling the tears well up, and hugged him.

The two embraced for what felt like forever, Sunny comfortingly, if not a little awkwardly, patting Kel on his back as he sobbed. Once he stepped back, they were still close to each other, Kel feeling as though he was free. The emotions that had been dragging him down seemed to have lessened. He looked down at Sunny, the shorter boy looking back up at him. Sunny felt his heart racing, praying Kel didn't hear it.

Kel leaned in closer to Sunny, raising his hand and placing it gently on his chin, Sunny on his tip-toes, Kel bent slightly. Kel then raised his other hand and placed it behind Sunny's head, Sunny wrapping his arms around Kel's back loosely. They each leaned in, closer and closer, close enough they could feel each others warm breath on their faces. They both felt their eyes drift close.

Kel's lips met Sunny's, feeling them intimately. They both seemed to melt into it, both of them had been dreaming of it. The two of them leaned in more, letting their lips linger together. Kel felt his heart racing, the taller boy longing to be closer to Sunny. They were locked together in the kiss for some time, before finally breaking apart, the two breathing heavily, though severely flustered.

Sunny looked up at Kel once more, kissing him again, letting his soft lips stay there for a few moments before breaking it apart. He smiled, a real smile, at Kel. Kel felt dumbfounded. Had that really just happened? Does that mean that they were together now?

Sunny then silently started heading back inside, Kel hurrying to catch up and grab his hand. The duo were silent as they headed back in Sunny's room, the two laying back on the mattress and cuddling each other.

"I love you," Sunny whispered to Kel.

"I love you, too, Sunshine," Kel whispered in response, kissing Sunny once more.