Chapter 6

Agent Nikki Herrmann's Residence Quantico Virginia

The brunette woke up to the sound of her phone ringing but she declined the call too tired to get up as she rolled over trying to fall back asleep only to hear a knock on her door. With a sigh, she opened her eyes and got up from the small bed before walking across the room and over to the front door. She looked through the peephole before unlocking the door and pulling it open to reveal Spencer standing there with a smile while holding coffee and a paper bag. 

Spencer glanced at Nikki noticing she was still in her pajamas from last night and barely had her eyes open. "You're still sleeping it's almost 1 in the afternoon," he said as she stepped aside to let him in. "It felt like seconds I swear, is that caffeine?" she asked noticing the tray with two coffees he had in one hand. "Yeah, I figured you'd want some. I also brought breakfast," Spencer said as they walked over to the kitchen counter. 

Nikki didn't even have a kitchen table or a couch, her place was plain with the basics and bare minimum. Spencer set the coffee and bag down glancing around her studio apartment again. "I didn't take much with me when I moved to Nevada and I didn't bring much here. Most of my stuff's in my apartment back home," Nikki replied. "You have an apartment in Chicago and here?" Spencer asked confused. "Kinda it's the space above my parent's garage my dad and some of his work friends renovated the space upstairs into an apartment so I could have my space to study when I came home from university, they left my stuff there when I joined the Army and it's all pretty much the same when I go back," Nikki said 

"Pretty much the same?" he asked, "Yea, my family doesn't know that I know they go in there when they miss me. I only know because they forget to put stuff back after especially my siblings," Nikki said as she pulled her phone off the counter and started the booking process for a Flight to Chicago leaving in a couple of hours and a return flight Sunday night. The price was expensive since she booked it last minute but it was worth it to go home and see her family. 

Nikki picked up the coffee and pack of smokes and lighter off the end of the counter and walked over to her front door as Spencer followed her with his coffee in hand. "7 Minutes," he said sipping his coffee as Nikki stepped outside and lit a cigarette taking a long drag as she sent Spencer a look still half asleep. "You know Morgan owns a truck and he grew up in Chicago, if you asked him you could probably get him to help you move some of your stuff back here because it looks like you just moved in, and How is your back not killing you from sleeping on the floor?" he asked. 

Nikki took a drag of the smoke and sent him a look, "This is luxurious compared to a dirt hole in the ground, a sleeping bag, and a shit hole 5 feet from you," she replied exhaling a small cloud of smoke away from Spencer who made a disgusted face at her comment. "Okay, but you're not in Afghanistan or Iraq and you at least need a bed frame and real curtains among other things," Spencer said causing Nikki to chuckle. "That sound unnecessary," she replied, "Don't let Garcia, JJ, or Hotch hear you say that," Spencer replied as Nikki took one last drag of her smoke and exhaled it before she put the cigarette butt in an ashtray and walked inside. 

Nikki and Spencer walked into the kitchen and she instantly started eating as Spencer did the same looking around the space. "Will you stop judging my apartment? It's fine the way it is," the brunette said calling him out. "You're using push pins to hold up your curtains?" he said more than asked. "They work the same blocks out the sun and prying eyes," Nikki replied, "Can you please just ask Morgan about helping you move stuff from Chicago, this is depressing Nikki I can't live two doors and sleep at night in my super comfortable bed when I know your sleeping on the floor and your using bed sheets and push pins as curtains," he said. 

"We'll see, maybe the next time I get a chance to go home. The Marathon's at the end of the month so I gotta head back anyways and I still gotta approve the request with Hotch," Nikki said. "What distance are you training for?" Spencer asked. Nikki smirked "26 miles, the marathons a charity run and I have a bunch of sponsors donating for each mile It's gonna be awesome, plus I'm gonna get a bunch of drinks after to celebrate," she replied. "26 miles that's..." Spencer made a face causing Nikki to laugh.

 "It's not bad if you pace yourself, drink lots of water, and training, which I'm gonna need to find someone to go for runs with since I'm not allowed to go for runs on my own," Nikki said. "Don't look at me, you should ask Morgan that's more his department. In fact, you should challenge him to sign up for the Marathon, I bet $100 on you over him," Spencer said with a smile that made her heart skip a beat. "Or donate the $100 to charity but I'll still bet Morgan I could beat him in this Marathon, you think he'd do it?" Nikki asked Spencer. 

"Do you really think Morgan would be able to resist after you challenge his physical athleticness? I think he wouldn't be able to resist the challenge." Spencer replied as Nikki nodded agreeing. "I'll mention it when we get back to the office in a couple of days," the brunette said as she finished eating the classic breakfast Spencer brought over. "Thank you again for breakfast and coffee and for letting me have an emotional breakdown in your house at 3 am," Nikki said the last part more awkwardly. "No problem, look I mean what I said. What happened wasn't your fault," Spencer said again. 

Nikki shrugged, "Maybe it was maybe it wasn't but if I wasn't there. It wouldn't have happened, it's as simple as that," she said before she took a sip of her coffee. Spencer shook his head no, "It's not that simple Nikki, and it doesn't change the fact that you wanted to leave and he wouldn't let you. He had no right to do that to you, and it wasn't. your. fault," Spencer said again taking her hand in his this time as he looked her in the eyes showing her how serious he was. "You've gotta stop saying that, You have got to stop blaming yourself for his actions and his choices," Spencer said sadly