Chapter 13

Molly's Bar, Bucktown Chicago Illinois

Nikki spent the day showing the team where she grew up, went to school, and ultimately ended up at Molly's bar. The brunette walked over to the wooden door to the bar as Spencer pulled the door open for her. "Thanks," Nikki said flashing him a smile as she walked into the familiar bar smiling as she looked up at the twinkly lights on the ceiling. 

"Oh my gosh are those twinkly lights?! I love it and ouuu my is there something in the water here because mmm the men from here are just delicious looking," Garcia said looking down the bar towards a few of the firefighters her dad worked with. Nikki chuckled as she walked over to the bar where her dad was. "There's my girl! You ready for the big day tomorrow?" her dad asked walking out from behind the bar to hug her. 

"Of course, I've only been training for the last 3 months," Nikki replied with a smile as they let go of the hug. "Who are your friends Nikki?" her dad asked noticing the group, "This is my team from work," Nikki replied. "My incredible boss agent Aaron Hotchner, Agents David Rossi, Derek Morgan, Jennifer Jareau- Penelope Garcia, you have a magnificent daughter by the way," Garcia said shaking her dad's hand as she cut Nikki off. "And last but not least Doctor Spencer Reid," the brunette said nervously as she introduced Spencer to her father. 

"It's an honor to meet you, sir," Spencer said as he shook her father's hand along with the rest of the team. "It's nice to finally meet the people that have my baby girls back out there. Drinks are on me tonight," her dad said with a smile. "So what can I start you all off with?" her dad asked them. The team began to order their drinks and Nikki could feel someone staring at her but she didn't know why or who. 

The brunette scanned the room locking eyes with a man at the bar sitting next to Gabby's brother Antonio. Nikki instantly recognized him as he raised a beer to her with a smirk, "Nikki? what are you having?" JJ asked. "Um whiskey and coke, but I'll be right back," Nikki said before she made her way over to the man at the end of the bar. "Nikki! How's it going? I heard you joined the feds" Antonio asked as he pulled her into a hug. "It's going great and yea, I still get to see a lot of combat, use my tracking skills, lots of travel," Nikki replied "I thought I recognized you, Sergeant," Halstead a Ranger she served with a few years ago in Afghanistan. "I guess I should say agent since you're with the feds, I haven't seen you in a minute," Halstead said pulling her into a short hug. 

"Yeah, so what have you been up to? last I saw you, I was sending you stateside in a medevac after your humvee..." Nikki said trailing off. "I'm doing a lot better, working with Dawson over here in a specialized unit with the CPD," Halstead replied. "That's awesome, I really glad to see you're doing well." Nikki said with a smile, "SO what brings you back to Chicago? Work?" Antonio asked her. "The Marathon tomorrow actually, I got a competition going on with one of the agents I'm working with," Nikki replied. "Well let's hope he can keep up, your freaking fast," Halstead commented causing her to laugh. 

"I'll let you guys get back to it, but it was nice seeing you both again," Nikki replied before she make her way over to the table her team was sitting at. "So who were the tall dark handsome guys you were chatting up over there?" Garcia asked Nikki as she returned and Jj slid her drink to her. "Um the older brother of the paramedic my dad works with and a ranger I served a few years ago. Small world huh?" Nikki said looking over toward Jay briefly. 

"Ouuu did something happen with you and this pretty boy over there?" Morgan asked glancing towards the bar. Nikki nearly choked on her drink, "Um last I heard he's married so no and I was a little busy trying not to get blown up or shot on a daily basis," Nikki replied. "And what about now that you've been stateside again?" Rossi asked her. "I don't have the time or energy to try modern dating. It sucked when I was in high school and college and from our line of work I'm not really much on that front," Nikki replied. "No disagreement there," Spencer replied locking eye contact with Nikki as she took a chug of her drink. 

The evening went by faster than Nikki hoped and the next thing she knew her alarm was blaring waking her up to start the busy day ahead of her. The brunette pushed herself out of bed jumping into the shower before she got dressed into some jogging shorts and her PT shirt from the Ranger Academy along with her only pair of running shoes. 

Nikki went to make herself a coffee when a knock on the door downstairs caused her to pause. "It's Open!" it called out before hearing footsteps sound up the stairs. There was a soft knock as the door to the room opened and Spencer and Garcia walked in. "You ready for the big race?" Penelope asked excitedly as Spencer handed her a to go cup of coffee. "I am now, you Spence are a lifesaver, bless your soul," Nikki said gratefully sipping the coffee before she grabbed her phone and keys and walked out the door following both Spencer and Penelope. 

Chicago Marathon, Chicago Medical Center, Chicago Illinois

It didn't take long for the three to arrive to the starting point of the marathon which was outside the hospital and sign in sheets were inside. The agents found the team after roughly 20 minutes of looking through the crowd. "Nikki, what are you doing over here? You gotta be at the starting line in 20 minutes, have you signed in?" Rossi asked the agent who notice Morgan wasn't there. "I was gonna sign in with Morgan, where is he?" Nikki replied still looking around. "Probably the starting line, he went inside to sign in," JJ replied. 

"Vomos kid!" Rossi said as Nikki made her way into the hospital through a set of sliding door. "Good Luck! We'll see you at the 9.5 mile point" Spencer called to her causing her to smile before she looked around for where the sing in sheet was. "Hey slowpoke, if you keep up this pace this will be an easy race superwoman," Morgan joked walking from down a hall. "Haha I'm caffeinated and ready to go I just can't figure out where the sign in sheet is," Nikki replied with a laugh. 

"At the end of the hall there, I'll see you at the starting line," he said before heading out the door as Nikki followed his direction and walked down the hallway. Halfway down the long corridor a massive BOOM sounded and the building shook sending Nikki to the floor followed by loud crashing noise before everything went dark. 

Morgan walked out of the building heading over to the starting line when a massive BOOM followed by an explosion so strong the building he just walked out of collapsed landing on the crowd below. People started screaming and running and Morgan instinctually started clearing people and children out of the collapse zone before looking around for any sign of his team. 

The wailing of sirens from first responders sounded through the air along with screaming and crying and a lot of panic. Morgan scanned the crowd noticing Garcia's bright hair through the crowd and Spencer's tall frame and familiar haircut.

The agent sprinted over to the team "Thank god your okay!" Garcia said pulling him into a hug. "Yea, I was outside," Morgan replied looking at the building. "Where's Nikki? Is she with you?" Spencer asked him. "No the last I saw her she was..." Morgan paused staring at the collapsed main floor of the building.