Past (1500s) - Male Palace (Night)

ANDRE ANDRADE, or ANDIRI ANDIRIN, as he is known by the Maldivians, sits on his throne, raised on the dais, as he surveys the debauchery occurring in front of him, by his fellow Portuguese and some Maldivians.

He sips from his cup of wine, and as soon as it is empty, the cup is automatically filled up by the SERVANT BOY standing to his side. On the other side, another SERVANT is fanning him with a giant leaf.

A voice belonging to his MOTHER invades his thoughts, "This all belongs to you, my dear son. You would have made your father so proud, for all that you have accomplished in such a short period of time. If you play your cards right, the King of Portugal might even reward you with an even greater title."

His mother's voice is cut off by the approach of 2 men, MEDHOO THAKURU, a fat and conniving Maldivian male who would no sooner slit the throat of his masters, and his son, TUFFASHANA, equally ruthless and who would slit even his father's throat. Rumours has it that he even killed his own mother.

They both approach the dais and stand in front Andiri. 

Medhoo bows and loudly proclaims, "My Regent, we are all so proud of all that you have accomplished in this short amount of time. Why, no one could have done it any better, I say."

Andiri tries not to roll his eyes at the blatant and sly compliment.

Tuffashana, who was more direct than his father, steps in front of his father. "Andiri, there is no time to waste. We need to solidify the trust of the Maldivian people to the Portuguese. I believe the best way is for me to help lead the charge by allowing me to become the Sultan of Maldives and marrying the Princess of the previous Sultan, SITTI MAVA."

At this, Andiri throws back his head and laughs. The sound of his laughter stuns the crowd in the room with him, but they soon join in, the wine making them more relaxed as the whole room is filled with even more drunken laughter.

Tuffashana's face turns red, as Andiri continues to laugh in his face.

Medhoo, not wanting his son to blow up and ruin their chances at even more riches, tries to calm the situation down. He bows his head, as though in deference.

"My dear wise sir, my son does have a point. It would be in everyone's best interest for this union to happen, seeing how Dom Gaspar has been able to get the islands to the North to 'worship' him, just because he has the Queen and the Princess with him, whereas, here, in the supposed capital of this glorious nation, the Maldivians themselves are fleeing to the Northern atolls. You wouldn't want to rule an empty city now, would you?"

At the final statement, Medhoo slowly raises his head from its bowed position, silently questioning Andiri in front of everyone, a slight smirk on his face.

Andiri has stopped laughing, quietly seething and pondering at the same time, knowing he had been played in front of his men.