Chapter Fourteen: The Undercroft & the Confrontation

Defense Against the Dark Arts Tower was a bit unsettling at night with its dark shadows and faint whispers, particularly in the corridor leading to the Undercroft. As Sebastian waited for Damien, he tried to ignore the eerie cast of the hallway and instead focused on the sound of his own tapping foot, the only thing that broke the silence.

Damien was late. As a chill seeped through Sebastian's robes, he felt a growing sense of irritation at the delay. Sebastian had specifically requested they meet at half past midnight, and he couldn't understand why Damien would be so tardy. Perhaps he had fallen asleep reading again.

Meanwhile, Ominis was wide awake in their room, tracing his fingers down the Braille in his Charms textbook. He was back to his old self again, and he was determined to catch up on all the work he had missed while he was sick. He had been so engrossed that he didn't hear Sebastian slip out the door.

Sebastian pulled out a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and started eating them absentmindedly. He was chewing on a Lemon one when the hall took on a faint glow.

A faint whisper echoed down the hallway. "Sebastian?" the voice called out.

Sebastian quickly straightened up, scanning the dark corridor until he caught sight of Damien's figure emerging from the shadows. "Over here," he called back.

Damien whispered Nox under his breath, extinguishing his wand's light, and made his way over to Sebastian.

"A bit late, aren't you?" Sebastian asked, his tone slightly clipped.

"Sorry, I lost track of time."

Sebastian shook his head, chuckling under his breath. "No matter. You're here now."

"How are those sweets?" Damien asked.

Sebastian raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"The sweets you're holding?"

Sebastian looked down. Oh yes, he was still holding the box of Bertie Bott's. "You've never had Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans?"

"No. Are they any good?"

"It depends," Sebastian replied with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Some flavors are absolutely revolting, but it's the surprise factor that makes them fun. Here - have one." He handed Damien a bright green one. It was probably Green Apple.

Damien placed it gingerly in his mouth and bit down. As he chewed, his face twisted in disgust. "You did that on purpose," he accused, spitting the bean into his hand.

Sebastian laughed, feeling a little smug. "Oh no, was it Grass-flavored?"

"Blergh - that's disgusting," Damien said, still trying to get the taste out of his mouth. "Now I have to find someplace to put this."

"Just put it on the ground," Sebastian said, grinning.

"I don't want to litter."

"You won't be littering. Trust me."

Damien complied, so Sebastian cast Evanesco and it disappeared.

"There, done." Sebastian waved his wand in the air and bowed with great finesse.

Damien chuckled. "Thanks, I'll have to learn that spell."

"No problem. Here, this one's definitely Cherry or Cinnamon. The bright red ones are the safest flavors to try." He held out a red jelly bean in his open palm.

Damien grabbed it and popped it in his mouth. He seemed pleased with this flavor and nodded approvingly. "Which ones are the riskiest?" he asked, still chewing.