Chapter Twenty-Five: Sixteen

"I still think we should have told Anne you were coming," Ominis said as the three of them bounced along in the carriage on their way to Feldcroft. Ominis paid for the carriage, as he was often wont to do, since Sebastian was nearly always lacking in Galleons. In fact, he had used his last remaining ones to buy Anne her birthday gift.

"Spoilsport," Sebastian retorted. "It's my birthday celebration too. I'm allowed to have a little fun."

"Technically it was your birthday two days ago. I'm not sure that counts."

Damien chimed in, "I've always been of the mind that if your birthday falls on a weekday, you get until the weekend to celebrate."

"Yes, exactly!" Sebastian said, turning to face Damien who was sitting beside him in the carriage, their legs touching. Sebastian reached out and gently patted Damien's leg in gratitude. He tried to make it as quiet as possible, very much aware that while Ominis was blind, he was certainly not deaf. Sebastian hadn't yet discussed with Damien how comfortable he was with public displays of affection - not that merely touching him on the leg was a public display of affection. Sebastian let out a quiet sigh, realizing he was probably overthinking it.

"What was that for?" Ominis asked.

"What?" Sebastian blanched as Damien struggled to hold in a laugh.

"Your sigh - what was that for?"

Sebastian scrambled for an excuse. "Just... contemplating life, you know? The existential crisis of being sixteen." 

Ominis rolled his eyes. "I can barely keep up with your wisdom and experience."

"I know. It's a burden being so mature at such a young age."

Ominis and Damien erupted into fits of laughter, catching their driver off guard. Sebastian heard him suppress a cough as he urged the Thestrals forward.

"Laugh it up all you want. You'll see what I mean when you reach my age."

"Speaking of that, when's your birthday, Damien?" Ominis inquired. 

Sebastian and Damien both responded in unison, "The 13th of December."

Ominis arched his brow. "How did you know Damien's birthday?"

"What? We've talked about it before," Sebastian replied, shrugging.

Ominis didn't look convinced. "Hmm, well, I suppose it doesn't matter. Just seemed odd that you knew without hesitation."

Sebastian could feel his cheeks turning red. "I guess I just have a good memory," he muttered, hoping Ominis wouldn't press the topic any further.

Damien changed the subject. "What's in that box, Ominis?" He pointed at a wooden crate nestled in the space beside Ominis.

"Anne's gift."

"Oh, Anne's gift? I was hoping it was for me," Sebastian said with mock disappointment.

"No, you get something smaller. Every time you vexed me in the past month your birthday gift decreased in size."

Sebastian mimed a dagger through his heart. "Ouch, that hurts."

"Looks like you'll be getting a toothpick at this rate," Damien said with a grin.

"A toothpick? I'll treasure it forever."

Ominis chuckled, and was about to speak again until the carriage came to an abrupt halt.

"Oh, are we there already?" Damien asked.

Sebastian glanced out the window. "Yes, we're here." He reached for the handle of the door. "Thank Merlin Anne arranged to meet you outside Feldcroft," he addressed Ominis. "Seeing Uncle Solomon was not on my list of enjoyable things to do for my birthday."