Chapter Twenty-One: Squabble in the Corridor & an Apology for Anne

"Anything to do with the Dark Arts should be avoided. It's too risky," Ominis hissed as he leaned against the wall, his arms crossed in front of him. Sebastian and Ominis had been having a proper row for days about the scriptorium. Sebastian realized he may have finally hit Ominis's last nerve.

"Anything to do with Salazar Slytherin is worth the risk," Sebastian retorted.

Ominis straightened up, glowering in the direction of Sebastian's voice. "I can't agree, and I'll not say a word more. I'm sorry." He whipped his robes behind him and set off back into the Great Hall.

Sebastian shook his head in annoyance as Ominis retreated. "I won't give up," he muttered under his breath. It wasn't until Damien approached, seemingly out of nowhere, that Sebastian snapped out of his thoughts.

"What were you and Ominis speaking about?" Damien asked, tilting his head slightly.

"He's being ridiculous," Sebastian replied, checking to make sure the coast was clear before continuing. "As I'm sure you recall me mentioning, Salazar Slytherin had a secret scriptorium here in Hogwarts. Ominis swears it was used for the Dark Arts, so he wants nothing to do with it. I reminded him that Anne needs a cure. This 'scriptorium' could hold the answers we need."

Damien stared at Sebastian intently, almost as if he was rehearsing his response. "The Dark Arts do pique my interest," he finally said.

Sebastian smiled back at Damien. It was a relief to know that he wasn't the only one interested in learning more about forbidden magic. "There's more to Dark Magic than people realize. The Gaunts know this - better than most." He paused before continuing, "Perhaps I've spoken out of turn. Ominis's family history is personal to him."

Damien looked down at his feet. "I understand. You needn't tell me if you don't want to."

"If I were you, I'd be begging for more details."

"It's not that I'm not interested," he said, looking back up at Sebastian. "And you can certainly trust me if you want to tell me anything."

Sebastian plowed forward before he had a chance to talk himself out of it. He'd deal with the potential consequences later. "Ominis learned Dark Magic from his parents. Are you familiar with the Cruciatus Curse?"

"What does the Cruciatus Curse do?"

"It's known as the Torture Curse - Crucio. It inflicts intense, excruciating pain on the victim. Apparently, his parents and his older siblings had no qualms about casting it on Muggles for sport. Ominis described the sound of the victims' cries as horrific. So, the first time he was asked to cast it himself as a child, he couldn't bring himself to do it. As punishment, his family cast it on him. The anguish was so bad, that when asked to cast it again, he relented." He raked his hand through his hair. "I have repeatedly assured Ominis he did what he had to, but he still hasn't forgiven himself."

"How horrible," Damien replied, shaking his head. "Poor Ominis. He was only a child. He shouldn't blame himself."

Sebastian continued, his voice growing more determined with each passing sentence, "After that incident, the rift between Ominis and his family only grew. That is, until I came along. Every moment he isn't at Hogwarts he's with us in Feldcroft. Ominis trusts me. And, more often than not, he winds up listening to me. I'll remind him of that when I follow up about the scriptorium."

He walked over to the wall and grabbed his knapsack, preparing to leave. His next class started in a few minutes and he couldn't afford to be late. "Watch for my owl. I'll have news soon enough. I'll make Ominis understand. He'll change his mind." He hoped Damien didn't mind his abrupt departure; it couldn't be helped.

Dear Anne -

I wanted to apologize for my visit this past weekend. Please tell me you're feeling better. I never meant to hurt you.

If you're still up for it, I saved another shrivelfig for you. Ominis agreed to bring it to you. Let me know and I'll arrange everything.

Sebastian

Sebastian scanned the letter one last time. It would have to do. Piles of crumpled parchment lay at his feet. This had been his sixth attempt to write Anne an apology.

Ominis had finally agreed to take the second shrivelfig to Anne, likely grateful for the opportunity to talk about something other than the scriptorium for once.

Sebastian sighed, setting down his quill on his desk. He blew on the letter gently to dry the ink faster. He needed to get it to the Owlery before dinner. His Astronomy class was supposed to start early tonight. Professor Shah arranged a field trip to an Astronomy Table in the Highlands. Sebastian was looking forward to it for once. Getting out of the classroom would be a nice change.

Folding the letter and slipping it into his pocket, he grabbed his bag and set out for the Owlery. He gave Henry a brief nod as he walked by him in the common area. He ducked behind a statue in the corridor when he thought he saw Leander, but no, it was just Garreth Weasley. He briefly pondered to himself why all the redheads seemed to be in Gryffindor.

As he popped out from behind the statue, Garreth spotted him and ran up from behind. "Sebastian, well, well, well," Garreth said with a cocky grin. "Off to the Owlery, I presume?"

Sebastian simply nodded in acknowledgment.

"So am I!" Garreth exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air in an exuberant manner. His flair for the dramatic was never understated.

Sebastian chuckled in spite of himself. "I assumed so."

"My mother's probably dying to hear from her favorite child. Who's your letter for?" he inquired.

"Anne."

Garreth's expression sobered. "Ah - yes, poor Anne. Tough break. Hope to see her back at Hogwarts soon." He scratched behind his ear in a fumbling sort of way.

As they ascended the long flight of stairs, an awkward silence hung between them until Garreth finally spoke up, "You and Damien seem quite close. What's he like? I've only talked to him a few times. He's a real puzzle, isn't he?"

Sebastian arched an eyebrow in surprise. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"My aunt says he somehow manages to go to class, do all his extra assignments, and explore the castle and grounds without falling behind."

"Hmm."

"That doesn't intrigue you?"

Sebastian hesitated, reluctant to divulge his thoughts to Garreth, especially considering his aunt's position as a professor and Deputy Headmistress. Dismissing the idea, he shook his head and quickened his pace.

"Oh - guess it's just me then," Garreth said with a shrug.

While he appreciated Garreth's company and the amusement he brought, there was a certain possessiveness in Sebastian when it came to Damien. Unsettling rumors about Natty and Damien spending time together and his recent encounter with Poppy lingered in his mind, demanding clarification. The sound of owls rustling in their roosts jolted him back to the present moment. Garreth swiftly slipped over to the window, leaving Sebastian to his thoughts.

Sebastian extended his right arm, and Hermes, his spotted owl, glided down to land gracefully on top of it. Hermes was ancient, but he always perked up for Sebastian. "It's nice to see you too, old boy," Sebastian said, giving Hermes a pat on the head. Hermes pecked at Sebastian's hand gently. "Yes, yes, I brought you some pellets." Sebastian laughed, stuffing his free hand in his trouser pocket and pulling out a handful. Hermes attacked the pellets hungrily. Sebastian waited for him to finish before taking the letter out of his robe and tying it to Hermes' outstretched leg. "This is for Anne. Make sure she gets it, please." Hermes hooted in reply and flew off.

Sebastian spun around, noticing that Garreth had already departed. He adjusted his bag on his shoulder. He wasn't getting anywhere with Ominis. Perhaps he'd write to Damien tonight after class. Sebastian hadn't found out any further information about the scriptorium, but perhaps a fresh set of eyes would help solve the Ominis problem. Damien struck Sebastian as the type that could be deceptively persuasive. It was worth a try. Making a mental note of it, he straightened his tie and began his walk back down the stairs.