Chapter Eighteen: A Proper Introduction & Ominis Receives a Howler

Sebastian stood outside Professor Binns' classroom. He was hoping to catch Ominis after his History of Magic class. He also vaguely recalled Ominis mentioning that Damien was in his class. It would be a good opportunity to reintroduce them.

Ominis walked through the door first, his wand outstretched. He turned, sharply.

"Boo!" Sebastian called out, jumping forward slightly.

Ominis rolled his eyes but otherwise didn't react. "I had a feeling it was you."

"Thought you'd appreciate a wake-up after class. Dull, as usual?"

Ominis sighed and nodded. "When is it not?"

Sebastian waited for a gap in the stream of students heading out of class to peek his head through the door. The classroom was empty aside from Professor Binns. "Where's Damien?"

"Oh, was he not in class today?" Ominis resumed walking, so Sebastian followed.

"He didn't come out."

"Hmmm. I don't know what to tell you." Ominis expertly maneuvered around a group of students playing Gobstones in the middle of the hallway. One of them was Duncan Hobhouse.

Sebastian whispered to Ominis, "It's Duncan," as they passed by.

Ominis grinned mischievously and loudly proclaimed for all to hear, "Once a coward, always a coward. Just ask Duncan Hobhouse!"

Sebastian snickered under his breath as they ran from the scene, Duncan yelling out, "That's not fair!" as they made their escape.

"Ah, the world is right once again," Ominis said once they stopped in the courtyard, catching his breath and then doubling over in a fit of laughter.

Sebastian laughed with him, taking in the lovely fall day. Most of the trees had changed color and a crisp breeze rustled their leaves. He breathed in deeply, wrapping his robes more tightly around himself. "How much time do you have before your next class?"

"Twenty or so minutes."

"Care for a game of Exploding Snap?"

"It's been awhile since you've asked me that. You still have your cards?"

"Of course I do," Sebastian replied with a smirk. He pulled his knapsack off his shoulder and stuck his hand inside, revealing the cards with a flourish, more for himself than for Ominis.

They set up on the lawn across from the Summoner's Court platform. As he prepared to sit down on the grass,  Sebastian did a double-take. Damien was playing a game with what looked like Grace Pinch-Smedley.

"Ominis, I found Damien," he said as he shuffled the cards in his hands. He preferred shuffling them manually, as opposed to using his wand. It made the game more dangerous, and hence, more interesting.

"Oh?"

"He's playing Summoner's Court with Grace. It looks like he's winning."

"No surprises there." Ominis grabbed the cards Sebastian placed beside him.

"Yes - there, he won. Grace actually doesn't look too put-out."

"Hmmm. She usually hates to lose." Ominis threw down a card on the grass, the wrong way up.

Sebastian flipped it over absentmindedly, still watching Damien and Grace. Grace touched Damien's shoulder and giggled. To his amusement - and relief - Damien narrowed his eyes back at her, shrugging off her hand.

Sebastian looked back down at the cards on the ground. "Ominis - you have a match. Hit the cards." Ominis really couldn't play the game properly, but he humored Sebastian when they were growing up, and old habits die hard.