Chapter Twenty One

Everything hurt. That being said, I felt like I was floating. Darkness engulfed me, wrapping around my aching muscles like a warm blanket. My head rested on something soft, and I could hear the faintest sound of voices in the distance.

I winced as my eyes blinked open. I was in my bed, surrounded by blankets and pillows, with Peach and Rebel snuggled up against me. My head was pounding, and I felt like I was going to throw up; but I held it down, sitting up slowly and rubbing my shoulders.

Peach shifted beside me, his eyes cracking open before he noticed me, gasping as he sat up and leaned over to shake Rebel awake. The taller imp groaned and rolled over, making me chuckle hoarsely, as if I hadn't spoken in ages. Rebel tensed at the sound and bolted up, staring at me with stormy grey eyes.

"You're awake," he murmured in shock, pursing his lips and lunging forward to hug me.

A jolt of surprise ran through me, and I gave Rebel a gentle squeeze in return, lightly kissing the top of his head. I pushed back the covers and pushed myself out of bed, stumbling as I stood and catching myself against the wall.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Rebel said, his eyes still wide. "You've been asleep for a while. Stay in here until you can at least walk properly again."

"Would Master like some tea?" Peach piped in, but I shook my head, ignoring Rebel's advice and grabbing a black silk robe and pulling it on, tying the sash around my waist and heading for the door, bracing myself against pieces of furniture as well as the wall.

The voices I was hearing in my sleep weren't just figments of my imagination. The sounds grew louder as I neared the top of the stairs, clutching the wrought iron banister as I made my way down the spiral staircase to the bottom. Lucifer was sitting in my living room, talking to a three people - a man and a woman with a small toddler resting on her knee.

"Again, thank you for checking for any news. I'm glad you're concerned and I'm grateful that your husband brought him back here, but as far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been any sign of him waking up just yet," Lucifer was saying. The woman looked up at her husband worriedly, and he gave her hand a reassuring pat.

The small child in her lap looked up, staring at me before a broad smile stretched his features and he reached out towards me, shrieking in delight.

The others followed his gaze, their eyes widening when they saw me standing in the archway that led to the living room. Lucifer was the first on his feet, his arms wrapping around me in a bone-crushing hug. He didn't say anything as he buried his face in the nape of my neck and ran his fingers through my hair, squeezing me tighter. Lucifer took a step back, gently cupping my face as he studied my eyes, then slapped me.

I held my cheek in pain and stared at him in disbelief. "What was that for?" I demanded meekly, wincing when Lucifer embraced me again.

"You have no idea how many people have been worried sick because of how stupid you are," he murmured against my hair.

"Gee, thanks," I muttered sarcastically as Lucifer pulled away. I smiled softly at him, but frowned when it wasn't returned. "How long have I been asleep for?"