Chapter Two

“All I’m asking is for you to behave, okay? Don’t say anything unnecessary, don’t speak unless he asks you something, and for the love of god, don’t do anything stupid!” Adiel said nothing to my little  outburst, only glaring at me.

“I don’t understand why he wants to meet me,” he said, his normally soft voice hard and stoic.

I shrugged. “He was an angel once too, remember? Can you blame him for having a few questions?” Again, he stayed silent, frowning when I placed my hand on his shoulder to take us to Lucifer’s palace.

Lulu’s palace had its own charm. Huge white walls ornamented with gold and silver held high roofs and extravagant chandeliers. Marble statues of biblical figures lined the walls of his throne room, where a large cathedra rested on an elevated platform.

The tall man on the throne watched as Adiel and I made our way down the aisle created by the statues, stopping in front of him to bow politely -- well, I bowed while Adiel just stood there and scowled.

“It’s been a while,” I smiled, sitting on the steps that led up to his seat.

“It’s been a week,” Lulu, said, returning my smile.

“It’s been less than a week,” I corrected, looking up at him worriedly. “Is something wrong? You don’t normally call me out like this unless it’s something important.”

He shook his head slowly, averting his gaze to stare at Adiel. “I wanted to speak to your angel.”

Adiel glared back at him as he crossed his arms over his chest. “I don’t have anything to say to the likes of you,” he growled, making me cringe and rush to stand by his side.

“Weren’t you listening to what I said?” I asked in a hushed whisper. After his ‘I’m-a-soldier’ revelation (which was endearing at the time) Adiel turned into a bit of a hardass. I liked Benji so much better when he stayed here; at least the kid was obedient and knew how to stay out of trouble.

The angel shoved me away, taking a couple of steps forward. “You’re still hated,” he said, making me place my hand over my face at his stupidity. “You’re still a traitor and your name is still spat on whenever it’s heard. You will never be accepted, and you’ll always be an outcast.”

I looked up when Lulu said nothing and flinched as his eyes shifted from their normal bright blue to dark, bloody red. Grabbing the back of Adiel’s shirt, I pulled him back, making my way up the stairs and sitting on the armrest of the throne, hugging the devil to me.

“Now, now,” I mumbled against the fallen angel’s blond hair. “You know how they educate angels – leaving out all the necessary details. It’s not his fault he’s uneducated.”

Lucifer took a deep breath, though his eyes still showed that he wasn’t getting any calmer.

“Tell you what,” I said chirpily, pulling away and smiling at him. “How about I come back tonight, hm? We can get some of that frustration out of your system.” At this, his eyes returned to their normal blue and he looked up at me thankfully, nodding without a word.