17: MINE

***

Pete stared blankly as Vegas and Dr. Gram listened to what he could remember. Pete told them everything he recalled but after Khiara's death, everything's a blur. He can't seem to remember much after that, even the car accident that cost him his memory.

"She's your sister, that explains it." Dr. Gram said, reading the chart in his hand as Vegas stood before leaning to meet Pete's level.

"Pete, are you okay?" Vegas asked as he cupped the latter's cheek.

Pete looked at him with teary eyes before letting out a faint smile. Pete can't even understand how he feels at the moment. The memory of losing the person he loved and unable to do anything about it felt overwhelming. However, looking at Vegas' concerned expression, Pete doesn't want to worry him even more.

"I'm fine, Vegas." Pete answered, trying his best to sound convincing.

..

After their session with Dr. Gram, Arm drove Pete and Vegas home. The drive was rather quiet as Pete just stared at the window. Vegas could see how Pete's trying to hold it in and he feels awful that he can't even help him. Vegas also lost a few family members but their situation's too different in many ways. However, Vegas still tried to put himself into Pete's shoes.

The thought of losing his younger brother was how Vegas saw the situation. Macau meant the world to Vegas, may he admit to it or not. Everyone knows how much he sacrificed to ensure to free his younger brother from the burden their father left Vegas. Vegas would kill anyone who lays a finger on his family and this is a known fact.

Still, unlike Vegas who could kill, Pete lost himself with Khiara's death. To put oneself in a delusion because he can't accept his sister's death, Pete really did go through so much.

Looking at Pete's hand on his side, Vegas reached out to it and held it tight, intertwining their fingers. This made Pete immediately turn to him and as he did, Vegas kissed the back of his palm while looking at him. Pete's lips pursed to a stifled smile.

Somehow, Pete felt a little better with this warm touch he's receiving from Vegas. He couldn't bear the thought of having to deal with all this alone and having Vegas by his side is more than enough.

..

Vegas spent the next days trying to cheer up Pete. He cancelled his meetings and had Kinn take over for a while with the pretext of taking care of Venice because Pete's unwell. Well he doesn't need excuses to convince his cousin since he's always ready to give a hand but Vegas still wanted to make up one.

A fancy dinner for two, a cruise, and a late night date, the week has been full of surprises that helped Pete overcome the shock of regaining his memory. Vegas, at first, doubted Dr. Gram's advice but seeing how happy Pete is everytime they were together made sense to all of it.

"Vegas? Where are we going?" Pete asked as Vegas drove off.

Vegas told him they'll go somewhere and that they had to leave now. Though confused, Pete just went with him after leaving the napping Venice in Arm's care.

"You'll see once we get there." Vegas answered with a smile making Pete let out a sigh.

"Vegas, I told you to stop spending so much on me already. I mean, the dinner was fine but the cruise and the date? I'm afraid you'll end up broke because of me." Pete said making Vegas chuckle.

"The date wasn't that expensive, though." Vegas said making Pete's brows furrow.

"You reserved the whole amusement park, Vegas. You think I wouldn't know?" Pete said making Vegas clear his throat.